FORUMS: list search recent posts

Time Code in Log and Capture

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Keyserling
Time Code in Log and Capture
on Apr 9, 2011 at 2:43:09 am

I'm new to Final Cut so I don't really know where i should be seeing time code in Log and Capture but I'm not seeing it displayed anywhere. The TC windows on either side at the top (in and out I assume) show only zeros. I am using a PVW2800 connected via serial cable to an AJA Io which is connected to my iMac via firewire. Machine controls work and the viewer shows the AJA video output. Does FC even show the machine time code as it plays?

The AJA VTR Xchange software shows the running timecode so I know its included in what the 2800 is sending. I've been through the Final Cut help pages and also the AJA manual and cannot find anything on this.

Having followed the manuals, I believe everything is set up properly. But it's not working so obviously I have missed something.

Can anyone help here?

Paul Keyserling
Big Pictures
Beaufort, SC

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Time Code in Log and Capture
on Apr 9, 2011 at 1:28:49 pm

You need Deck Control (Machine Control) between:

1. Computer (usb adaptor (Belkin)) and the Deck.

OR

2. Between the AJA IO and the Deck.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 9, 2011 at 1:49:49 pm

[Paul Keyserling] "a PVW2800 connected via serial cabl"
I don't know which AJA are you using, but -unless this have changed- you need RS-422 control (together with the "VTR Exchange") to pass the TC between FC and a desk or back.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Paul Keyserling
on Apr 9, 2011 at 2:23:10 pm

Thanks all for considering this.

I wasn't clear about the serial cable. The AJA Io is connected to the RS422 port with the serial cable, then firewire from the Io to the computer. By the way, Io is the model name of the AJA

What I don't understand is why the VTR Xchange software sees the timecode on the iMac but Final Cut does not on the same machine with the same cabling/hardware configuration. The Io must be working properly or neither software would see the TC.

I initially had machine control trouble with another old AJA box and those folks were great in exchanging it - at no charge! - and that resolved the problem. I suppose I could ask them about the timecode but this seems to be a Final Cut issue.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thsnkyou,
Paul

Paul Keyserling
Big Pictures
Beaufort, SC

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Apr 9, 2011 at 2:28:54 pm

Did you try editing your machine control settings?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Paul Keyserling
on Apr 9, 2011 at 4:16:24 pm

Chris,

I did. It is set to "AJA Io RS-422 NTSC" and I do have machine control - I can Play, Stop, FF and Rew etc. in the Log and Capture window, I'm just not getting any timecode reading anywhere. The current timecode window doesn't show the current timecode and setting in and out points doesn't show the appropriate TC in the respective windows and the "Go to" buttons don't send it anywhere, not even to the 00:00:00:00 shown in the windows.

This all works in the AJA VTR Xchange software. There is something I have neglected to tell FC to do but I can't figure out what. The "Device Control Setting" must be set correctly because I have machine control. I have changed various "Capture Presets" but that seems only to set the video inputs. Among others, I have tried both the "AJA Io: YPbPr SMPTE N10 8-bit NTSC..." and the "YPbPr Betacam 8-bit NTSC..." thinking the SMPTE had something to do with the TC. Both show video in viewer but neither show code in windows.

There must be something else but I'm unable to figure out what.

Paul

Paul Keyserling
Big Pictures
Beaufort, SC

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Apr 9, 2011 at 4:23:22 pm

The SMPTE and Betacam differences are in the color space when capturing and or laying out to tape. I keep our on SMPTE except when using Beta SP.
What about a NDF and a DF discrepency?
Have you trashed prefs?
Re-booted?
Called AJA?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Paul Keyserling
on Apr 9, 2011 at 5:03:36 pm

Chris,

Mystery solved.

I had the time code set to VITC in the machine control settings which I know my machine records. Changing the setting to LTS + VITC and letting Final Cut select appears to be the solution. Deck time code now appears in windows of Log and Capture. I had forgotten about the longitudinal timecode track on the tape. Curious though. I don't know why the vertical interval code wasn't reading but I suppose it doesn't matter at this point.

Thank you for persevering in the search for a solution. Looking deeper into the preset settings got me into the neighborhood.

Paul

Paul Keyserling
Big Pictures
Beaufort, SC

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Apr 9, 2011 at 6:52:20 pm

Good Deal!
Now back to work!

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Apr 10, 2011 at 3:34:07 am

From your first post it was obvious that you had all the connections right. The fact that VTR Xchange saw TC, means TC was reaching your Mac. That FCP could control the VTR, means RS-422 was functioning correctly.

The AJA IO is uncommon, and many have not actually used it. It is also the only external IO box that you can use with an iMac for tape ingest and output. Till next Wednesday at least.

I'm glad you cracked this by persisting with it.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]