FORUMS: list search recent posts

convert aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9 (PAL) using FC Express

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mirela bogdan
convert aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9 (PAL) using FC Express
on Apr 8, 2011 at 9:30:41 pm

Hi,

I've got footage I shot in 4:3 but when the whole editing is done I'll need to have in 16:9. What's the best way to go about this without having the footage look squashed?

I've tried doing this using Quick Time by exporting to QT Conversion and then modifying settings and size, but images are still squashed....

any help with this is much appreciated.

thanks

Mimi

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: convert aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9 (PAL) using FC Express
on Apr 9, 2011 at 5:15:13 am

Magic. You can blow it up and crop out the top and bottom. You can stretch it horizontally. You can search for a plugin that will create a panoramic effect (keeping the middle somewhat normal, but stretching the sides like a fisheye lens). All horrible options. If you want widescreen, you either shoot 16:9 anamorphic SD, or HD.

Return to posts index

mirela bogdan
on Apr 10, 2011 at 2:06:05 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I know it's knot the best option - I wouldn't normally go for it either. Still, got to make things work somehow, so if I were to stretch each frame, what's the best way to go about it? If I were to use the Distort option in the Viewer what kind of measurements would you recommend?

thanks

Mirela

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 11, 2011 at 3:01:18 pm

If you have to stretch, I would suggest splitting the difference between zooming in, and stretching. Stretch it horizontally a bit, then zoom in to cover the difference.

So just mess with the image in the canvas. No need to really bother with the distort tool. It's just non uniform scaling. Hold down shift and drag the corner of the image. Then, drag the corner without shift to scale.

Return to posts index

mirela bogdan
on Apr 12, 2011 at 4:14:47 pm

Thank you Bret, will try this out.

going a little off topic... do you know much about digibeta tapes? :) sorry, not the most techy person...still learning my way around loads of stuff...

thanks

Mirela

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]