FORUMS: list search recent posts

One editor's "Jaw Dropping" new Final Cut Studio wish

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pat DeFilippo
One editor's "Jaw Dropping" new Final Cut Studio wish
on Apr 8, 2011 at 3:21:37 pm

Hi everyone!

If Apple did indeed build the new Final Cut Studio from the ground up and advance it for us professionals, as the "jaw dropping" description from at least one of our colleagues would suggest (plus the assumption that the announcement will most likely be at the SuperMeet in front of professional editors as opposed to after NAB to consumers/prosumers), I hope the jaw-dropping part is that they combined the entire suite into ONE program.

What's the one thing that Final Cut, Motion, SoundTrack Pro and Color have in common (that DVD Studio Pro and Compressor do not)?

The answer is: the Sequence! The Sequence is basically the same between the four apps - although it looks and acts a bit differently in each.

(DVD Studio Pro operates a bit differently as, in comparison to Final Cut Pro, authoring typically involves linking to multiple compressed Sequences. Of course, there's really no Sequence at all in Compressor as you typically apply settings to entire Sequences there.)

What I would like to see is ONE application to open, perhaps simply called Final Cut Studio, that default opens to whatever app the user defines in Preferences. For most of us in this forum, that would be Final Cut Pro.

Let's say you start editing, and then you decide that you'd like to "switch over" to Motion, for example. I'd like to be able to go up to the Window pull-down menu, for example, and see at the bottom the four main apps (with perhaps even DVD Studio Pro and Compressor selectable there as well) with a check mark currently before Final Cut Pro (or whatever mode you're currently in). Then, you simply select Motion and, within the same Final Cut Studio app, the "mode" gets changed to your Motion setup preferences (as opposed to launching Motion as a separate app).

Your Sequence remains the same from Final Cut Pro, and what else could be new is that your Final Cut Pro Browser window remains in Motion (giving you the option to switch to other Final Cut Pro Sequences to work on right from within Motion) and would remain there in any mode you switch to.

Most importantly, this would totally eliminate round tripping! As we all know, there are file management problems ("sent", aka replaced original video and audio files that are tricky to reconnect back to in Final Cut Pro, etc.) created in round tripping that wouldn't need to be problems any more as all the current separate apps could now all reside in ONE program as modes while you work on any sequence you select from within any "mode". Perhaps the new file created in Motion, in the example above, would become a single Nested file when you switch back to the Final Cut Pro or any other "mode". An audio Next would be created from SoundTrack Pro "mode", etc.

Apple could also "un-bundle" the apps with a ONE setup like this. If you didn't want to buy Color, for example, Color would simply be grayed out in the Window pull down menu (or wherever switching modes would reside).

In addition to this, I would also like to see things that Apple would have to address for "jaw dropping" status that other apps have had for a while - optimization for 64-bit and every processor, background rendering, built-in transcription and search-able text, etc.

Built-in archiving management to AIT, DLT, "cloud" or whatever other backup device directly from selected sequences would be really nice, too.

But, I hope that the real "jaw dropping" announcement will be that there is ONE app that Final Cut Studio does it all from, and that each current separate app instead becomes a "mode" within.

And, of course, whatever the announcement is, I won't be buying it until X.1 or even X.2 comes out!!!

Have fun at NAB - I'll be missing it for the second year in a row after not missing it for about 14 straight years going back to my ImMix/Accom/Abekas VideoCube, TurboCube and StrataSphere non-linear editor/owner days in '95!

BTW, please look me up on FaceBook (as P D Post Productions, Inc.) and LinkedIn (as Pat DeFilippo).
-Pat

G5 Quad Desktop with 4GB Ram, 750GB HD & eSata ~ 30" Cinema Display & 17" Sony SVGA
~ Swift Data 200 Internal 1.6TB SATA II RAID 0 ~
2.33gz Intel MacBook Pro with 3GB Ram, 500GB HD
AJA Io LA
Final Cut Studio 2 on G5 & 3 on MBP
Sony UVW-1800 Beta-SP
Sony DSR-40 DVCam

P D Post Productions, Inc.
TV~DVD~WEB-Device
for Corporate Communications, Commercials, Infomercials, Television Programs and Family Occasions since 1983
E-mail PD@PDPost.com
Website http://www.PDPost.com
Business/Cell Phone (847) 275-5671

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: One editor's "Jaw Dropping" new Final Cut Studio wish
on Apr 8, 2011 at 3:29:27 pm

[Pat DeFilippo] "I hope that the real "jaw dropping" announcement will be that there is ONE app that Final Cut Studio does it all"

Well, if we are to believe the word on the street from those who are supposedly "in the know," half of your wish is going to come true.

And, that's all I'm saying... Wild horses can't drag anymore from me.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Pat DeFilippo
on Apr 8, 2011 at 4:49:26 pm

Well, David, I hope that the jaw dropping announcement is in fact that FCS is now "One App" - or even better than that per whatever Apple has in mind!!!

I watched the Editor's Lounge Parts 1 and 2 yesterday (Thursday) and, other than some posts from Walt yesterday and others here on the Cow, plus Larry Jordan's blurb about it last month, I haven't read or heard anything from "the street" including anything at all about "One App".

Sometime shortly after FCS2 was released, I started thinking "what if" and more about this One App concept. I don't think I heard it from anyone else at the time or since then, but I might have. When FCS2 was released, I was "the raffle guy" for the Chicago Final Cut Pro User Group. So, the One App idea might have actually come from somebody during a discussion there, but I don't think so. Plus, I haven't been connected to CHIFCPUG in any way in over a year.

Every time that I invoke "Send To" from Final Cut Pro, I've thought about "One App" in greater detail (which I hopefully clearly explained above) and how much nicer and tidier FCS can be!

Hopefully, by late night Tuesday, we'll all know what's really new!
-Pat

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 8, 2011 at 4:59:19 pm

[Pat DeFilippo] "I've thought about "One App" in greater detail (which I hopefully clearly explained above) and how much nicer and tidier FCS can be!"

We don't disagree on that at all Pat. In fact, I have to say, I detest round-tripping with Color, and I wholeheartedly disagree with Walter who has maintained that Color should be a standalone application.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Apr 8, 2011 at 5:02:24 pm

Main wishes

Proper Audio meters,
Proper AudioUnit Integration

I want ALL soundtrack Pro plugins directly in FCP including visual representation of the Plugins.
No crappy sliders. Just the Plugin Interface.

Would be a stunt if the Apple Pro team created a 'Smoke' from all the current apps into one..

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Apr 8, 2011 at 10:53:03 pm

[Paul Jay] "Proper Audio meters,
Proper AudioUnit Integration

I want ALL soundtrack Pro plugins directly in FCP including visual representation of the Plugins.
No crappy sliders. Just the Plugin Interface."

agree with no sliders.

but what do you mean by proper audio meters?

I find the audio mixer meters work quite well, though
a VU and simultaneous digital readout somewhere would be kinda cool.

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Apr 9, 2011 at 1:23:02 am

Apple needs to redo the whole effects interface... or combine FCP with Motion. The latter is a good bet.

That would be the only thing that may keep people from going to After Effects.

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Apr 8, 2011 at 4:42:27 pm

[Pat DeFilippo] "And, of course, whatever the announcement is, I won't be buying it until X.1 or even X.2 comes out!!!"

I've got a feeling I'm going to be getting this on the day of release, bugs or no, and onto a system with a brand new GPU straight away if this is 10 percent as good as I think it will be.

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/casestudies/detail.asp?case=therydercup

Return to posts index

Steven Gladstone
on Apr 8, 2011 at 4:44:44 pm

That one app integration. THAT would be good.

Steven Gladstone
http://www.gladstonefilms.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 8, 2011 at 4:50:13 pm

What you're describing would be a more "modal" interface, something like a tabbed web page.

ANyhow, this wish list stuff is 2-4 years too late, now we've just got to try to stop climbing the walls until Ruby Tuesday.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Apr 8, 2011 at 7:52:09 pm

One app to rule them all and in the darkness bind them.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 8, 2011 at 10:10:27 pm

Flaming eye of Sauron screen saver is extra.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 9, 2011 at 9:07:05 pm

Maybe I'm envisioning it the wrong way but I'm not all too keen on having one giant app. I mean, do I really want the equivalent of Motion, DVD SP, Compressor, Cinema Tools, Color, Sound Track Pro, and FCP all open and running at the same time? Especially when i typically have a number of other apps open as well?

I would like better round tripping and a more unified feel between the apps but I don't know if mixing everything into a 'super-app' is the best way to go about it. Audio apps look like audio apps for a reason and compositing apps look like compositing apps for a reason. W/that being said if anyone can gracefully bring it all under one roof it's Apple. I'm just afraid that the compromise in doing so will be an 'simpler' app that while more streamlined will be so at the cost of deeper level functionality.

I'm cool with elegant and efficient I just don't want dumbed-down when it comes to my professional tools.

-Andrew

3.2GHz 8-core, FCP 6.0.4, 10.5.5
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (6.8.1)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]