FORUMS: list search recent posts

Before Push the Start Buttom on Camera

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fredy Schwerdtner
Before Push the Start Buttom on Camera
on Apr 6, 2011 at 3:12:54 pm

Dear Pals,
I'm writing this post before push the start button on cameras. I believe it is easier to prevent problems than spend time solving in post.
I'm producing a training video and also will do the post .
The video is for Internet and DVD ( in a short time everything will be internet )
I will shoot in 2 different cities. In 2 very distinct setup studios. Both green-screen.
#1.
01 Actor, Lights, 02 Cameras Sony HD EX3 (for 2 angles), 02 TP, Lav Mic and Boom Mic (for safety). Everything rent.

#2.
04 Puppets, Lights, 01 Camera Sony HDV, Lav Mic and Boom Mic. My own gears.
- I know, I should use the same camera. But, since the manipulation of the puppets is the harder job here and we can not estimate how long it will take, the budget do not support the equipment rental for many days.

- The HDV camera only shoots in 1080i 29,97. Should I use the same for the Sony HD ? Or should I use 1080p - 29,97 and deinterlace the HDV material from 1440x1080i to 1920x1080p - 29,97 ?
- I will capture everything to Prores. Should I use 422 or 422 LT ? Is there a quality difference ?

I have 3 scenes in a storyboard in iWork Web if anyone would like to see.

Thanks in advance to everybody.

Regards,
Fredy.

MacBook Pro 17"
2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
(2) External HD LaCieMac (400/800 FW and USB)with 500GB -(2) USB External HD Western Digital (in cases) with 750GB
OS X 10.6.5
Final Cut Studio "3"

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Before Push the Start Buttom on Camera
on Apr 6, 2011 at 3:18:44 pm

HDV and green screen is the weak link. Have you done green screen work with your HDV camera?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Fredy Schwerdtner
on Apr 6, 2011 at 3:56:51 pm

Hi David.
Nice to hear from you.You are always helping me, comming on my rescue. thanks !
Yes I've done some jobs with my camera and got good results using the Primatte (Red Giant) or DVGarage.

MacBook Pro 17"
2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
(2) External HD LaCieMac (400/800 FW and USB)with 500GB -(2) USB External HD Western Digital (in cases) with 750GB
OS X 10.6.5
Final Cut Studio "3"

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 6, 2011 at 4:20:56 pm

[Fredy Schwerdtner] "Yes I've done some jobs with my camera and got good results using the Primatte (Red Giant) or DVGarage."

There you go... Gotta have the plugin.

Bottom line in this case is that the two cameras won't match very well, and the whole interlaced/progressive thing makes it a lot tougher. Progressive footage is easier and better to key, but then, of course, the HDV is gonna be interlaced out of the camera no matter how you slice it or dice it.

Such a toss-up in this case... I'm not a huge fan of the how the Sony EX cameras handle interlaced fields, especially when scaled down for DVDs and the Web. So, I'd say shoot progressive with the EX for sure.

I think you'll have to wing it in post, there are just too many variables in this case to make a definitive workflow. You've got to see for yourself how good your keys are, especially the HDV, and then see how good the progressive material looks when placed in an interlaced sequence. Keep in mind that progressive material on an interlaced timeline usually looks great, but interlaced material on a progressive timeline usually sucks.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Fredy Schwerdtner
on Apr 6, 2011 at 5:02:07 pm

I was almost sure that working with progressive is easier than interlaced specially talking about keying.
I'm guessing, by the script, that 70% of the video will be shooting with the actress in studio #1. Than I will stuck with progressive definatly. Since the HDV shoots 1440x1080 60i 29,97, I should shoot with the EX3 in 1920x1080 29,97p , right ?

In the end I will have 70% of easier material for post and 30% to cranck my head ... lol

MacBook Pro 17"
2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
OS X 10.6.5
Final Cut Studio "3"

Return to posts index

Fredy Schwerdtner
on Apr 6, 2011 at 7:12:21 pm

I was almost sure that working with progressive is easier than interlaced specially talking about keying.
I'm guessing, by the script, that 70% of the video will be shooting with the actress in studio #1. Than I will stuck with progressive definatly. Since the HDV shoots 1440x1080 60i 29,97, I should shoot with the EX3 in 1920x1080 29,97p , right ?
Do you think I better deinterlace the HDV material before editing ?

In the end I will have 70% of easier material for post and 30% to cranck my head ... lol

MacBook Pro 17"
2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
OS X 10.6.5
Final Cut Studio "3"

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 6, 2011 at 10:04:33 pm

[Fredy Schwerdtner] "Do you think I better deinterlace the HDV material before editing ?"

You'll have to do a test... There's a trade-off if you deinterlace... Deinterlacing first might actually make it harder not easier to pull a good key, because the resolution will be diminished, or it might be better because your edges will be easier to get perfect. Every situation is different. See how the keying goes with the interlaced material first, then go from there.

[Fredy Schwerdtner] "Since the HDV shoots 1440x1080 60i 29,97, I should shoot with the EX3 in 1920x1080 29,97p , right ?"

That would actually be 30p...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Fredy Schwerdtner
on Apr 6, 2011 at 11:37:10 pm

Thanks a lot for your insights. I will be shooting on April 15th.

MacBook Pro 17"
2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
OS X 10.6.5
Final Cut Studio "3"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]