FORUMS: list search recent posts

From my perspective: Why was Avid at the SuperMeet anyway???

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Roth Weiss
From my perspective: Why was Avid at the SuperMeet anyway???
on Apr 6, 2011 at 6:35:59 am

Come on, let's face facts, the so-called SuperMeet at NAB has traditionally been, and is really still supposed to be, a get-together of all of the Final Cut Pro user groups from across the country. So, what the heck was Avid doing making a big splash at what should be Apple's big show anyway?

I mean, come on, when you really think about it, it hardly seems right that Avid, FCP's biggest competitor, should be lighting things up on what should be Apple's home field, in and front of Apple's adoring fans, while Apple was just going to sit by idly twiddling it's thumbs.

The fact is, when Apple officially pulled out of NAB two (or was it three) years ago, that not only left a pretty big gap in the action at NAB for FCP users, it kind of left Michael Horton and his SuperMeet looking for some Vegas excitement too. And, though it was gonna be a bit strange, kinda like the Celtics showing up at the Staples Center in place of the Lakers, the big Avid dog and pony show with Kevin Smith evidently sounded a whole lot better than nothing.

In any case, you gotta give Apple and SuperMeet's Michael Horton credit for rising to the occasion. It couldn't have been easy to pull off this last second coup. But seriously, a big Avid show was just plain wrong, and taking back the SuperMeet for Apple just seems so very right.

So, I say good going Apple and good going Michael Horton. Now, if what what you're showing everyone next Tuesday is the right stuff, then look out, maybe editing will become sexy once again.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
Re: From my perspective: Why was Avid at the SuperMeet anyway???
on Apr 6, 2011 at 10:22:40 am

Sure Avid at the FCPUG Supermeet seemed out of place. But then, if Apple were to take over this meet to show something new, why didn't they just participate at NAB like they used to, and take that show by storm with something revolutionary. The NAB Show would have gained from it and it would have showed some solidarity with the congregated post folks.

Rather than doing it at a small hotel away from the main show but during it anyway. Or, they could have had something on Sunday in a larger hotel so it would effectively take out the wind out their sails before the show even began. Like they did at CES, or was it MacWorld with the iPad.

Just sayin..

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]