FORUMS: list search recent posts

Spreadsheet for Logging w/Sequence Markers on Any Computer

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Davis
Spreadsheet for Logging w/Sequence Markers on Any Computer
on Apr 6, 2011 at 12:27:05 am

I am working on a documentary and want to split the logging duty with my producer for the many interviews we are shooting. The only trouble is that he has an old PC and no knowledge of FCP. This spreadsheet will generate XML code to add the sequence markers and notes to your FCP sequence, allowing anyone with the raw footage, audio or video, and this spreadsheet template the ability to add notes that will show up as sequence markers in Final Cut Pro. (It currently only works with 24p projects but it could be modified to do 30p or any other frame rate).

Download the xlsx file here:

1) Export audio or video of your sequence in Final Cut Pro.

2) Make sure you have at least one sequence marker on your timeline (you'll see why in a minute). Export a XML file from your sequence (File>Export>XML).

3) Give the logging template and the raw audio/video to your producer/client and have them fill out the "LOGSHEET" sheet with the following...
a)Timecode: 4 columns for hours/minutes/seconds/frames (24p only)
d)Marker Color: you have to enter the RGB (Alpha/Red/Green/Blue). Red, Yellow and Green are listed at the top (they are all green by default).

The frames column will fill in automatically--do not change it.

4) Have the producer "save as" and send you the file.

5) Open the file and click over to the "CODE" sheet

6) Do a select all and then copy it to the clipboard

7) Open the xml file you generated from your sequence in any text editor. Find the code for the marker you made earlier. It will be all the way at the bottom and has 'marker' tags.

8) Select all the text from the first [markers] to the last [/markers], except with this bracket: < (the forum will think it is code and it won't show up if I actually type it) . Paste your new code over it.

9) Save your XML file.

10) Bring your XML file back into Final Cut Pro. (File>Import>XML or just drag the xml file to the FCP icon in your dock)

Note: More than 70 markers will require two separate spreadsheet workbooks. (I only coded 70 lines). This is a beta version so watch out for mistakes. I was able to import all the markers on my test.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Spreadsheet for Logging w/Sequence Markers on Any Computer
on Apr 6, 2011 at 4:23:47 am

Sounds cool, Rob. Looks like you need a user/pass for the link you posted.

Return to posts index

Rob Davis
Re: Spreadsheet for Logging w/Sequence Markers on Any Computer
on Apr 6, 2011 at 4:33:05 am

Sorry---I forgot I added the password protection.

Download it here:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved