FORUMS: list search recent posts

Easiest way to make a project portable?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Jenkins
Easiest way to make a project portable?
on Apr 5, 2011 at 7:32:52 pm

I just got a Macbook Pro and I want to be able to take some projects on the road with me. I typically work from a single portable hard drive, so that makes it easier, but some projects reference files that are on an internal hard drive on my Mac Pro. So, what is the easiest way to gather those external files into the current project directory so I can take the project on the road without missing files? I'm thinking Media Manager is the answer but I've never used it and I don't need to make a new project on a different drive, I just want to gather those stray files. Thanks for your direction!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!


Return to posts index

Cody Walters
Re: Easiest way to make a project portable?
on Apr 5, 2011 at 8:37:56 pm

Media Manager is the way to go.

In the media manager dialog box, click the drop down and just do a copy. Make the Media Destination your portable hard drive. If you don't want a new project file, uncheck "deplicate selected items and place into a new project" Also, if you want to keep you render files, make sure to check "include render files". That should work for you.

Cody Walters

Mac Pro 2.26GHz 8 Core
16 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Final Cut Studio 3
Adobe CS5 Master Suite
Panasonic HVX-200
Canon 7D

http://www.codywaltersvideo.com


Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: Easiest way to make a project portable?
on Apr 5, 2011 at 10:57:25 pm

[Cody Walters] "In the media manager dialog box, click the drop down and just do a copy. Make the Media Destination your portable hard drive. If you don't want a new project file, uncheck "deplicate selected items and place into a new project" Also, if you want to keep you render files, make sure to check "include render files". That should work for you."

Thanks, Cody. I wonder if I just select "move" instead, can I avoid duplicating everything? 90% of the media is already there.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!


Return to posts index


David Roth Weiss
Re: Easiest way to make a project portable?
on Apr 5, 2011 at 11:39:23 pm

[Jason Jenkins] "I wonder if I just select "move" instead, can I avoid duplicating everything? 90% of the media is already there."

There is a really good reason for using the copy function, not the move function in Media Manager. Consider copy to be non-destructive, while move is in fact destructive, with no recourse if something goes wrong.

If your system crashes in the process you're going have a very tough time figuring out what you lost and what to do next. So, it's far better to have to manually delete the old version than to lose anything during the process.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™


A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.


Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: Easiest way to make a project portable?
on Apr 6, 2011 at 5:03:23 am

[David Roth Weiss] "There is a really good reason for using the copy function, not the move function in Media Manager. Consider copy to be non-destructive, while move is in fact destructive, with no recourse if something goes wrong.

If your system crashes in the process you're going have a very tough time figuring out what you lost and what to do next. So, it's far better to have to manually delete the old version than to lose anything during the process."


That sounds like a great reason to use "copy". Thanks, David. BTW, does it dump all the assets into one directory... or how does that work?

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!


Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
Re: Easiest way to make a project portable?
on Apr 6, 2011 at 10:46:41 am

I edited a full length feature some years ago where I had to edit at a client's MacPro when his presence was needed, and edits on my time on my iMac at home.

All dailies and sound was captured on the MacPro's internal drive. Right after i captured all the dailies and sound, I cloned the MacPro drive into another Firewire 800 drive and named it the same name as the drive in the MacPro. When I carried the drive home and connected it to my iMac, and opened the project, it was all online without needing to reconnect.

When I needed to work on the MacPro, I just took the project only, on a USB thumb drive, to the MacPro. When opened there it just worked fine. No reconnect. After working on the MacPro, if I took that project back to the iMac and it opened and connected automatically there too. Just to be safe, I set the drive as one of the targets in the 'Search Folders' setting in FCP System settings in both machines.

I did this back and forth for about 4 months editing alternately on both systems and keeping media at both locations too..
If new dailies were captured on the MacPro drive, I carried the Firewire drive there and cloned it again, so both drives were always identical. I used SuperDuper for the cloning, but you can also use Silverkeeper or Carbon Copy Cloner

When FCP opens a project, it simply looks for a drive by name and folder structure and doesn't care if the drive is internal or Firewire. Clips, sub clips, sequences all connect perfectly. Also, FCP allows you to connect two drives of the same name, to one Mac simultaneously. Of course, I never opened the projects with both drives connected.

Not sure if this answers your query, but it's another route.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India


Return to posts index


Jason Jenkins
Re: Easiest way to make a project portable?
on Apr 6, 2011 at 5:12:49 pm

Neil, it's always good to hear about real-life workflows that work. Thanks!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!


Return to posts index

Cody Walters
Re: Easiest way to make a project portable?
on Apr 6, 2011 at 1:06:47 pm

David,

If I remember correctly, Media Manager will create a folder for video, audio, and graphics. It will create the main folder where you specify in the browser. If you already have 90% of your media on the portable hard drive, why not manually move over the other 10%?

Cody Walters

Mac Pro 2.26GHz 8 Core
16 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Final Cut Studio 3
Adobe CS5 Master Suite
Panasonic HVX-200
Canon 7D

http://www.codywaltersvideo.com


Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Easiest way to make a project portable?
on Apr 6, 2011 at 4:50:18 pm

[Cody Walters] "If I remember correctly, Media Manager will create a folder for video, audio, and graphics."

Nope, it chucks all media into a single file.

[Cody Walters] "If you already have 90% of your media on the portable hard drive, why not manually move over the other 10%?
"


There are two reasons:

1) If you media manage you never have to relink or worry about things that won't relink, which has been a problem for many in the past. That aspect of things is simply 100% seamless all the time when using Media Manager.

2) Invariably, when manually moving a project between drives or between facilities, human beings make errors, and they often forget one or more media files. Media Manager allows the computer database to gather all files, doing what computers do best and what what humans do worst, and again, it's 100% seamless all the time.

In case you have noticed a trend Cody, I'm all about using computers to do what they do, while leaving the other work to the humans. Understand that in facilities here in L.A. there is simply no margin for error where things like file management are concerned. The demands of the creative and technical work are paramount to everything else, and the possibility of losing or leaving behind a single media file can have untold bad consequences. So, the workflows I promote take those possibilities out of the equation completely whenever possible.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™


A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.


Return to posts index


Jason Jenkins
Re: Easiest way to make a project portable?
on Apr 6, 2011 at 5:13:38 pm

Thanks again, David. Everything is looking good!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!


Return to posts index

Cody Walters
Re: Easiest way to make a project portable?
on Apr 8, 2011 at 4:09:55 pm

David, thanks for correcting me in my post. You have excellent points in using Media Manager and not simply copying over the other files.

The only thing I dislike about Media Manger is how is does not retain your organized bins in the browser. I'm all about organizing bins into graphics, video, motion graphics, etc, and I don't like how media manager lumps everything into one folder. My work around is copying my original project file to the external drive, then having to re-link. Is there a more efficient way to do this?

Cody Walters

Mac Pro 2.26GHz 8 Core
16 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Final Cut Studio 3
Adobe CS5 Master Suite
Panasonic HVX-200
Canon 7D

http://www.codywaltersvideo.com


Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Easiest way to make a project portable?
on Apr 8, 2011 at 4:39:14 pm

[Cody Walters] "The only thing I dislike about Media Manger is how is does not retain your organized bins in the browser. I'm all about organizing bins into graphics, video, motion graphics, etc, and I don't like how media manager lumps everything into one folder."

You're not the person who dislikes the idea that Media Manager places all media files into a single directory. I understand both sides of the argumnent.

The bottom line is, organizing media on your computer hard drives into multiple directories does not make your computer work any better, in fact the opposite can be argued. And, the argument can also be made that organizing into multiple folders is only good for those who search manually in lieu of using the more efficient computerized search features.

Personally, I can work both ways and often do depending on the project and depending on whose running the show.

BTW, keep in mind that, while Media Manager always consolidates media into a single folder, it does not dispense with bins in the browser if you wish to keep them. So, the many hours of organization you may have put in are really preserved in FCP where I think it actually counts the most.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™


A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.


Return to posts index


Jason Jenkins
Re: Easiest way to make a project portable?
on Apr 6, 2011 at 5:10:30 pm

[Cody Walters] "If I remember correctly, Media Manager will create a folder for video, audio, and graphics. It will create the main folder where you specify in the browser. If you already have 90% of your media on the portable hard drive, why not manually move over the other 10%?"

I just did it! It seems to have worked out fine. Media Manager created one media folder within the directory I specified, which is fine.

There didn't seem like an easy way to track down the clips and move them manually, so I'm glad this method worked. Thanks for your help.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!


Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]