FORUMS: list search recent posts

Text Placement Template

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Nelson
Text Placement Template
on Apr 5, 2011 at 2:37:36 pm

I've got several scenes in my show wherein I would like the image to shrink down to a box on the left side of the screen and text to type on in several lines on the right hand side. See image below.

Because I am doing this repeatedly, I would like to essentially create a template that I can pull from a bin whenever I wish to perform this task. I'm using the Boris Title 3D generator (it provides me with more control over leading and kerning than the basic Typewriter generator).

The problem is after I've created the first page of text and saved it to a bin and then overwrite it elsewhere in the show and write new text with a different number of lines, the text repositions (See the red "one line" in the illustration). I would like the text to always start where the text starts in the example. Is there a way to do this?

Martin

2 x 2.26 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
12 GB RAM
OS 10.5.8
ATI Radeon HD 4870
FCP 7.0.2
Quicktime 7.6.6
Avid Media Composer 4.0.2.20

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Text Placement Template
on Apr 5, 2011 at 3:03:32 pm

Indeed, our dedicated text tools are at best hobbled, and at their worst, simply lame. If someone has figured out an elegant solution for this that doesn't involve using another app,, I'd like to know what it is.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Martin Nelson
on Apr 5, 2011 at 3:09:52 pm

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of, David. I was hoping the 'Lock to Position' button combined with the 'Pivot X/Y' would allow me to set an anchor point, but it seems not. There must be a viable workaround.

Martin

12 GB RAM
OS 10.5.8
ATI Radeon HD 4870
FCP 7.0.2
Quicktime 7.6.6

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Apr 5, 2011 at 3:49:45 pm

If you use Title 3D and its alignment tools to create the text block. You can use it's Position X/Y controls to position the text as needed. Saving this as a template should make each text block appear the same and not recenter the text to the middle of the screen.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Martin Nelson
on Apr 5, 2011 at 5:11:25 pm

[Tom Wolsky] "If you use Title 3D and its alignment tools to create the text block. You can use it's Position X/Y controls to position the text as needed."

That's what I thought, Tom, but have you actually tried this? Unless I'm doing something wrong, the Position X/Y controls determine the center of the block of text. If my template was built of eight long lines (white text in illustration) and my new entry, using the template, is three short ones (red text), the new text will start lower and to the right of the original.

The new text does have the same center point as the original, but that's not what I'm out for.

Grrrrr,

Martin

12 GB RAM
OS 10.5.8
ATI Radeon HD 4870
FCP 7.0.2
Quicktime 7.6.6

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Apr 5, 2011 at 5:43:42 pm

I see. I think the only way they, if you have a lot of do, is to make multiple templates for different numbers of lines.

Have you tried Motion? I don't think it's text blocks position the same way.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Martin Nelson
on Apr 5, 2011 at 6:42:38 pm

[Tom Wolsky] "I think the only way they, if you have a lot of do, is to make multiple templates for different numbers of lines. "

Yeah, the problem with that is it recenters on both the X and Y axis and both the length of the lines (X) and the number of lines (Y) will be different every time.

[Tom Wolsky] "Have you tried Motion?"

I'm trying to avoid too many Motion effects in my sequence because I think they're making it too complex and causing crashes.

Martin

12 GB RAM
OS 10.5.8
ATI Radeon HD 4870
FCP 7.0.2
Quicktime 7.6.6

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Apr 5, 2011 at 7:09:00 pm

It shouldn't recenter in the X axis if you use a center tab to position the left aligned text with text wrapping. It should only change in the Y axis.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Martin Nelson
on Apr 5, 2011 at 11:28:16 pm

[Tom Wolsky] "It shouldn't recenter in the X axis if you use a center tab to position the left aligned text with text wrapping"

Thanks, Tom. That did work as far as the X axis is concerned. It took me a while (once I finally had a chance to try it) to get what you were telling me to do. For anyone following this thread, Text Wrapping is inside the Boris Title 3D window under the second tab down:

By 'center tab' I wasn't sure if you meant under the Move tab or if you were referring to the Position X/Y controls under the Controls tab outside the Boris Title 3D window. I went with the Position X/Y:

That all worked for me for left to right. As a workaround for the Y axis, I did a 10-line template. This took me from Safe Title top to Safe Title bottom. When I use this for something with fewer than 10 lines, I simply add some returns to add up to eleven lines so it all pushes up to the top. Ten lines doesn't do it for some reason.

The whole thing is less than elegant, but it does prevent me from having to do the whole thing over again each time.

So tired…

Martin

12 GB RAM
OS 10.5.8
ATI Radeon HD 4870
FCP 7.0.2
Quicktime 7.6.6

Return to posts index

Patrice Freymond
on Apr 5, 2011 at 7:10:51 pm

Hi,

If you use Boris Title crawl, which has a "none" position for the animation (!), you get the option to overide the text wrapping. I did a quick test and you can definitely get your "template" to be aligned horizontaly, no matter what you type.

In my trial I did not manage to have the text start vertically in the same position but I don't have time now to fiddle with this right now. Maybe there is a way to secure this as well. Oh well, half a solution then...

sorry, but mybe this still helps...

Patrice

Return to posts index

Martin Nelson
on Apr 6, 2011 at 1:32:45 am

Thanks Patrice. I'll try it out if the other method doesn't work out. I'm not sure if I can type on with Crawl.

Martin

12 GB RAM
OS 10.5.8
ATI Radeon HD 4870
FCP 7.0.2
Quicktime 7.6.6

Return to posts index

Larry Asbell
on Apr 6, 2011 at 3:22:31 am

Hi Martin,

I think if you set the margins (in the second tab) to define you text area that may do it for you.

- Larry Asbell

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Apr 8, 2011 at 12:46:16 pm

Just saw the thread by chance.

Why not make a Motion template for that. Motion's text box behavior is to write from the top to the bottom of the text area. So it would be a constant 'Y behavior' - both set by the box position and way of writing text inside.

You may also try my TextUp generators - though they won't give you control for the kerning by character or special style control per letter or word.

Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

Return to posts index

Martin Nelson
on Apr 8, 2011 at 4:27:20 pm

[Larry Asbell] "Hi Martin,

I think if you set the margins (in the second tab) to define you text area that may do it for you.

- Larry Asbell"

Hey Larry,

How are things in DC?

Sorry, I didn't see your response until this morning. I've just tried messing with the margins in that second tab and I can't see that anything has happened to the text in any way. Within the Boris Title 3D window, adjusting the left margin does push the text right, but once I leave this window the text hasn't moved in the Viewer or Canvas. Shrinking the page width to have the default does push the text to the middle of the screen, but not to the right.

Hmmm,

Martin

12 GB RAM
OS 10.5.8
ATI Radeon HD 4870
FCP 7.0.2
Quicktime 7.6.6

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved