FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to format WD RAID drive as non journaled

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vincent Geijsel
How to format WD RAID drive as non journaled
on Apr 5, 2011 at 11:57:59 am

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up my WD MyBook Studio II drive as a RAID 0, but I don't think the WD RAID manager app will let me reformat as HSF+ non-journaled, can't do it in Apple Disk Utility either.
Since I believe this would be the best option speedwise, and to avoid dropped frames etc. anyone knows how to achieve this anyway?

Besides this, is there a way to set the RAID block size, and what size would be advisable?

thanks, Vincent

Return to posts index

Cody Walters
Re: How to format WD RAID drive as non journaled
on Apr 5, 2011 at 12:06:35 pm

You can't do it in Disk Utility? Here's a link from the WD website with instructions how to format a WD drive.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3865/c/130/p/228,260,230

Cody Walters

Mac Pro 2.26GHz 8 Core Xeon
16 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Final Cut Studio 3
Adobe CS5 Master Suite
Panasonic HVX-200
Canon 7D

Return to posts index

Aivaras Seduika
on Apr 5, 2011 at 12:30:05 pm

Formatting the drive is the last step in the process, so you create the RAID array first, then once the array is up - you format it like you would normally with whatever file system you want :)

Return to posts index

Vincent Geijsel
on Apr 5, 2011 at 2:41:27 pm

Hi Alvaras,

So I use the WD RAID manager to make a RAID 0 setup, then go to Disk Utility and simply reformat the thus created single volume as Mac OS Extended, non journaled, this should still be a striped volume?

If so this is the solution to my problem, thanks!
(although I'm not so sure anymore if I should want it non journaled, but anyway...)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 5, 2011 at 12:42:30 pm

Best to leave it journaled. Seriously.

Return to posts index

Vincent Geijsel
on Apr 5, 2011 at 12:46:11 pm

Hi Jeremy,

OK, why do you think I'm better off leaving it journaled?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 5, 2011 at 1:23:57 pm

Why do you think it's better with it off?

Journaling helps to recover from unexpected crashes, power outages and kernel panics. It is a misconception to have it off, akrough you will read all up and down this forum that having it off is best. A journal is a good thing and a slight insurance policy in your hard drive data integrity. Why not use it?

Many raid manufacturers recommend journaling. That's good enough reason for me.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Vincent Geijsel
on Apr 5, 2011 at 2:12:16 pm

Jeremy, you just might be right, I'm more inclined now to leave it journaled, anyone here still in favour of non journaled though?

I'm just trying to get the best out of my system, since I was a bit surprised I was still getting those dropped frames on my brand new MacPro, this sounded like one way to increase performance. (...and yes I did try to address some of the other possible causes too)

And @ Paul, I agree, I do have another disk I plan to set up as a backup disk.

Return to posts index

Vincent Geijsel
on Apr 5, 2011 at 12:42:58 pm

Hi Cody, thanks for the quick response.

I followed the instructions, (except of course I selected the non journaled option) and managed to reformat the drives as one volume, but since in Disk Utility 'Partition' is a separate section from 'RAID' how can I be sure this actually will function as a striped RAID set? also this way I cannot set the RAID block size.

I tried another way: first I made two partitions, then switched over to the RAID tab dragged both volumes into the list but I got an error message after clicking the 'create' button.

Return to posts index

Cody Walters
on Apr 5, 2011 at 1:01:18 pm

Sounds like your second attempt was close. Make sure that under the RAID tab you have your format set to Mac OS Extended. RAID type at striped. What is your error message saying? Maybe Jeremy has a point by keeping it at journaled.

Cody Walters

16 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Final Cut Studio 3
Adobe CS5 Master Suite
Panasonic HVX-200
Canon 7D

Return to posts index

Vincent Geijsel
on Apr 5, 2011 at 1:59:01 pm

This is the error message:

Creating RAID set failed with the error:

Invalid request

I was already a bit suspicious about what DU would do, I just don't count on it to create two partitions that exactly match each of the disks, since it starts off with interpreting both disks as one volume in the first place. (hope that makes any sense...;-)

Return to posts index

Cody Walters
on Apr 5, 2011 at 2:25:12 pm

Vincent,

After a little research, it would seem that the WD Drive Manager makes it simple in configuring which RAID you want. Are you saying that this method is not working for you either? Here's a review I ran across, the middle of the page shows the Drive Manger and where you choose a RAID 0.

http://kamlau.com/hardware/wd-mybook-studio-edition-ii-2tb/

Cody Walters

16 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Final Cut Studio 3
Adobe CS5 Master Suite
Panasonic HVX-200
Canon 7D

Return to posts index

Vincent Geijsel
on Apr 5, 2011 at 2:49:14 pm

Cody,

With the WD app it is simple to set up either a RAID 0 or 1, but from what I understood it will always format as HFS+ journaled.
(problem solved though, see Alvaras' post)

Thanks, that actually is an interesting article with the little benchmark test and all.

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Apr 5, 2011 at 1:35:57 pm

Better get a good backup plan. Seen a lot of mybooks crash. Raid 0 crash is data gone

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on Apr 5, 2011 at 2:09:35 pm

am i reading your post correctly? ....you have ONE drive which you have partitioned and then you are trying to Raid the two partitions together?

As far as I am aware that should not work.

The point of a raid is that it uses multiple drive read/write heads and discs to increase the speed at which data is written.
Raiding partitions on a single drive will have the opposite effect because the one read/write head will be trying to simultaneously write to two different partitions.

My apologies if i have misunderstood your post.
I'm with Jeremy - leave the journalling on.

adam

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk

Return to posts index

Vincent Geijsel
on Apr 5, 2011 at 2:21:05 pm

Hi Adam,

I was expecting that part to get a bit confusing...
The MyBook Studio II is a dual drive, intended to use in a RAID setup, which is what I was trying to do in the first place. If you read through the previous posts you'll probably get how I arrived at that point, as said I didn't really expect it to work that way.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]