FORUMS: list search recent posts

H264 in flash player

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Morter-Laing
H264 in flash player
on Apr 5, 2011 at 11:16:46 am

Heres something I dont understand- with most sites, to have a player (ie specially designed with a specific look etc) they are designed in Flash aren't they? So even if the video being streamed within that player is H264, if wont work on say, an iPhone because the player is made in flash. Can someone explain how this works a little better and how to make this more cross-platform?

Tom Morter-Laing
Freelance Editor,
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010

Sony Z5, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 2.93GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD5750 [1GB GDDR5], 2TB Int. SATA with 2TB External HDD; (FW800), with Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

Cody Walters
Re: H264 in flash player
on Apr 5, 2011 at 12:15:33 pm

You would think that the Flash video containing h.264 would play on an iphone. It confuses me too. I know flash video is made of two components: the player itself and the video inside it. The file format used to run video scripts is the SWF file and this, I believe, is what some devices, like the iphone, do not understand.

Here's a basic ehow article about how flash works:

Cody Walters

Mac Pro 2.26GHz 8 Core Xeon
16 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Final Cut Studio 3
Adobe CS5 Master Suite
Panasonic HVX-200
Canon 7D

Return to posts index

Aivaras Seduika
Re: H264 in flash player
on Apr 5, 2011 at 12:26:40 pm

Yeah, it's nightmare - things would be so much easier if apple played nice with adobe!

You cannot get an iWhatever to recignise the H264 inside a flash player, it will play it outside of the player.

What I do for client signoff previews is export an iWhatever friendly H264 .mp4 or .m4v. I tell my flash player the URL to this file (various ways of doing this, either directly in the player's source code, or flash vars, or XML).
I then give the client a URL to the page containing the flash player - for fast pc/mac viewing, and another link beneath it with a URL direct to the video for iPhone/ipad etc.

If you follow the direct link on an iPhone/pad whatever, it will open and start streaming.

For encoding, I use Handbrake because it has settings which also make the video Nokia-friendly too. Adobe Media Encoder encoded files don't play on nokias for some reason (spent hours trying to get it to work!).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved