FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question about TUXERA NTFS for Mac

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Dias
Question about TUXERA NTFS for Mac
on Apr 4, 2011 at 9:40:17 pm

I googled Tuxera NTFS for Mac and got a lot of contradictory reports.

For example, in one thread, David Roth Weiss recommend Tuxera as a solution and then on another he says he doesn't trust it because of some client incompatibilities.

AGHHHH makes me nervous to move forward with Tuxera!!!

Anyway, I am creating a bunch of h.264 MOV files from XDCAM EX and some of them will be many gigabytes in size. I need to copy those transcoded files and the original BPAV folders to my client's NTFS formatted drive so I can later remove them from my external drive.

In the past, we used FAT32, but, as most of you already know, that won't let me copy any 4GB or larger files.

So, I would like to get updates on people's experience is with Tuxera NTFS.

thank you all,
-Tony Dias

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
Re: Question about TUXERA NTFS for Mac
on Apr 4, 2011 at 11:14:56 pm

I use it routinely, never had an issue. I regularly deliver projects and media on large portable drives formatted ntfs.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 4, 2011 at 11:29:38 pm

I did encounter Tuxera issues quite a while back, with my client never being able to access the files. And, I never bothered to try it again. Once burned is enough for me most of the time...

The only reliable method that works for me 100% of the time is to deliver on Mac formatted drives, and the client has to install MacDrive on their end.

However, if Jason says Tuxera works now, then I'm happy to hear that, and maybe someday I'll try it again.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Apr 5, 2011 at 11:15:52 am

I've been using NTFS-3G without any problems. I see that it's been updated several times in the last year, and that the fixes in the newer releases were for things that would have caused problems in older versions of it.

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Apr 5, 2011 at 12:15:45 pm

Jason/Andrew,

I've been using the free version for a while. No problems but a bit slow. Is the full version much faster?

Thanks

Alan

FlashXDR,XDcamHD,XDcamEX,D9 etc
FCS,AE,Combustion,LiquidSilver,Vegas,Edius,
G5,MBP,Vista64,XP

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Apr 5, 2011 at 1:58:09 pm

I'm using free as well...speed has never presented an ussue for me.

Return to posts index

Daniel Bethe
on Apr 11, 2011 at 9:23:23 pm

By the way, if you have any question about data integrity on any system, you can create an MD5 checksum of the source and target files. On Mac OS, you use the 'md5' command.

dtm$ md5 dorymonster_test1.mp4
MD5 (dorymonster_test1.mp4) = f3ed1559874599d26fddc5802d65266e

Do that before and after copying them, and you compare that the result is still the same. In the example of my particular file, it's "f3ed1559874599d26fddc5802d65266e". There are free MD5 apps on Windows or on any other OS, and I don't know the names but they're the same algorithm with the same results.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]