FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converted m4v still requires render (non-edit friendly)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zack Mulvaney
Converted m4v still requires render (non-edit friendly)
on Apr 4, 2011 at 9:38:13 pm

Hi all,

I followed the instructions on a lot of forum posts/tus and am still not having any luck, so here it goes:

I had low quality DV footage on DVDs that I needed to edit. I used Handbrake to convert the DVD footage to m4v files. I imported the m4v files into the FCP to see if they were edit-friendly (i.e. not showing me that render redline) and they weren't -- which makes sense because, as I understand, m4v is a delivery codec. So, I tried convert them to Proress 422 and each ballooned from a 300MB+ file to a 11GB file. I then did the same thing with MPEG Streamclip, converting them to a QT file based on DV-NTSC settings, and again I got 10GB+ ballooned files. Obviously, I'm doing something horribly wrong despite my best attempts to follow the instructions/tuts.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Converted m4v still requires render (non-edit friendly)
on Apr 4, 2011 at 10:09:44 pm

Zack,

DV is 13Gb per hour. ProRes is 75Gb per hour. That's all there is to it. And, hard drives are just $70 for 1Tb these days. You're going to have to get over the file size shock and buy some storage.

When you transcode to ProRes make sure you transcode the audio to 48khz at the same time, otherwise it will have to be rendered.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Zack Mulvaney
on Apr 4, 2011 at 10:15:28 pm

David,

Thanks -- I'm not even bothered by the file size, except to the extent that I thought it was giving me a non-edit friendly file. If the file size is normal, then what is the problem? (i.e. what must I do with my files so that I can import them into FCP and not see that cursed red render line)?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 4, 2011 at 10:28:54 pm

That's why I said to make sure the audio was transcoded to 48khz. If you don't manually set that too your audio might come in at 44.1khz, which FCP does not particularly care for.

Having said that, Handbreak sometimes gets in the way too. In the future stick with Streamclip and just go directly from DVD to ProRes.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Zack Mulvaney
on Apr 4, 2011 at 10:33:21 pm

Yeah, sorry I didnt address your audio comment. I meant to say in my previous post that I deleted the audio tracks to try and isolate the issue and still, with the vid track only, I had the render problem, so I doubt it was just audio.

I'm trying exactly what you said and ripping the dvd from streamclip instead of handbrake. fingers crossed outcome -- we'll know in a couple min. Didn't go straight to prores tho -- exporting to DV-NTSC. I'll try prores if this doesnt work.

Return to posts index

Zack Mulvaney
on Apr 4, 2011 at 10:38:03 pm

OK -- Streamclip export to DVCPRO50-NTSC didnt work -- hmmm, time to try ProRes I suppose...let's see...

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 4, 2011 at 10:48:45 pm

Streamclip to DV or DVCPro50 should absolutely work. You have to use Export to Quicktime and choose DV or DVCPro50 there. I do it all the time.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Zack Mulvaney
on Apr 4, 2011 at 11:24:23 pm

That's exactly what I did and still have a mov clip that, when brought into FCP, requires rendering for playback. I'm at a loss...any other ideas?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 4, 2011 at 11:47:48 pm

Have you tried opening a new sequence and dropping the clip on timeline and letting FCP match the setting to the clip?

If so, please look in the FCP bowser and tell me exactly what you see for the clip in the columns for "compressor," "audio," and etc., and tell me exactly what's in Sequence>Settings.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Zack Mulvaney
on Apr 4, 2011 at 11:56:59 pm

jeepers -- that worked for one of my (now many) test exports -- David "The Wise" they shall call him -- thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 5, 2011 at 12:58:26 am

If you render to ProRes, but some off pixel size, like 848x480...then you will need to render. You must have proper broadcast dimensions. 720x486....1280x720....1920x1080. This being DVD...720x486 is what you need to choose.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 5, 2011 at 2:13:25 am

[Shane Ross] "This being DVD...720x486 is what you need to choose."

Well, actually 720x480 (DVD and DV), however 720x486 (601) will work as well, as I know you know Shane.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 5, 2011 at 4:05:55 am

ProRes needs to be 720x486. At 720x480, you need to render. It is an UNCOMPRESSED replacement, not a DV/DV50 replacement.

In my experience.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 5, 2011 at 4:53:40 am

[Shane Ross] "ProRes needs to be 720x486. At 720x480, you need to render. "

You are absolutely correct Shane. In fact, I just remembered and then tested it too, 720x480 ProRes won't display in FCP at all, even if you do render. I typically rip DVDs to DVCPro50 myself, because they don't get better that that anyway.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Zack Mulvaney
on Apr 5, 2011 at 4:56:06 am

Maybe I just lucked out, but I exported my DVD footage using Streamclip to ProRes LT at size 640x478 and I'm able to edit it in FCP 7.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]