FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to setup project for mixed fps?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gustab Een
How to setup project for mixed fps?
on Apr 4, 2011 at 11:36:59 am

Hi,

I understand that FCP can work with different fps in one project. I have footage in AVCHD in 25fps 720p and GoPro footage in 60fps 720p. But what Sequence preset should I use for this project to get the best result?

Thankful for all kind of help :)

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: How to setup project for mixed fps?
on Apr 4, 2011 at 2:33:52 pm

It's usually best to go with what you have the most of or best matches your end deliverable. Then conform the rest prior to importing. Some stuff you can just drop the mixedmatched clip in and render it to the sequence without issue.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 4, 2011 at 6:19:43 pm

I agree with Chris. In addition to what he recommends...depending on the footage you may have lots of un-rendered footage. If that is the case, check out this Final Cut Pro tutorial on playing un-rendered clips with out rendering them. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Gustab Een
on Apr 4, 2011 at 6:56:05 pm

Thanks a lot guys!
To conform the clips prior to I import them, how do I do that? In cinema tools?
Gonna have a look at your quick tips for sure!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 4, 2011 at 7:02:01 pm

Yes, you will need to conform your 60fps in Cinema Tools. It does a great job. Be forewarned that it conforms your original clip. It doesn't make a copy. If you need to keep your original keep that in mind. As for everything that is at it's normal frame rate such as 29.97 feel free to just drop it in the timeline. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 4, 2011 at 9:06:17 pm

[Stephen Smith] "Yes, you will need to conform your 60fps in Cinema Too"
Why should he Conform the 60fps stuff?
Does he wan't that stuff slow down?

No reason to Conform nothing.
He just want to edit together 720p60 and 720p25 stuff so he just have to decide to convert the p60 to p25, and edit in a p25 sequence, or the p25 to p60 or p30, and edit in p60 or p30 sequence.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 4, 2011 at 9:29:04 pm

Rafael,
Let me refine my answer: If you want your footage to play in slow motion, then yes you need to conform it in Cinema Tools. Unless you have a plug-in such as G Map Frames from Nattress. When recorded at 60 fields you can conform it 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97 or 30 fps. It will in a nutshell double the length of the clip so it will play in slow motion. For me personally, the only time I've shot at 60 was to get a slow mo look. If you drop say a 59.97 clip into a 29.97 timeline the 59.97 clip will play at normal speed and look like all of your 29.97 footage. If you conform it in Cineam tools to 29.97 and then drop it into the 29.97 timeline it will play in slow motion. So depending on the look you are after you may need to use Cinema Tool. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 5, 2011 at 9:57:06 am

[Stephen Smith] "Let me refine my answer: If you want your footage to play in slow motion, then yes you need to conform it in Cinema Tools. "
That's what I mean.
Gustab haven't said nothing about slowing down the footage, so why to suggest Conforming?.
He doesn't need conform anything.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 6, 2011 at 2:37:55 pm

[Rafael]
Gustab haven't said nothing about slowing down the footage, so why to suggest Conforming?.

I already answered that question.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Gustab Een
on Apr 13, 2011 at 4:10:04 pm

Thanks again for your help guys!

The reason I filmed some footage in 60fps was to make it in slow motion. But I have a new question for you :)

I do some snowboard edits and use my GoPro for a lot of the follow cam shoots since it small and convenient (exposure sucks though when it's too sunny mid-day and glare from the snow). And when I edit I often just want half a second of slow motion, when the rider is mid-air to make trick more impressive.

So I tried two types of methods:

1. I dropped the conformed slow motion clip into a 25fps timeline, cut out the short part of half a second when the rider was mid-air, and put inrun and outrun in 240% speed to make it look like normal speed.

2.Then I took the same trick but unconformed so it played in normal speed from the beginning cut out the short par mid-air and replaced it with same frames from the conformed clip so it played in slow motion.

When I rendered it out I saw the option number 1 was a bit distorted at the parts playing in normal speed(240% of it's original speed) and option number 2 was playing more smoothly at those parts.

So my question is, should I always do like option number 2 for that type of editing? It takes a bit longer to find the same frames to cut from but if the result turns out better it is worth it..

Best regard,

Gee

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 20, 2011 at 3:59:01 pm

Sorry for the delayed response. I've been out of town.
If Option 2 works best then go with it. I personally prefer to do my time speed changes in Motion instead of FCP. I feel you have a lot more control to ease into your "slow mo" part of the clip. The Optical Flow works great but takes a long time to crunch the numbers. Hope this helps and be sure to show us some of your work...I would like to see it. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]