FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony PMW-EX3 XDCAM EX HD Camcorder clip transfer

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marinos Yiannakis
Sony PMW-EX3 XDCAM EX HD Camcorder clip transfer
on Apr 4, 2011 at 9:03:05 am

A friend asked me if i can edit some footage shot on Sony PMW-EX3 XDCAM EX HD Camcorder and stored on Sony - SxS-1 G1A 32GB Memory Card. Do i need to download any software from Sony, and do the normal memory card readers read these cards? By the way i am using FCP 3.
Thanx

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Sony PMW-EX3 XDCAM EX HD Camcorder clip transfer
on Apr 4, 2011 at 9:23:52 am

marinos,
You need the "SONY Clip Browser" and the "XDCAM Transfer" tool.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 4, 2011 at 9:32:01 am

Final Cut PRO 3...or Final Cut STUDIO 3 (FCP 7)? BIG difference. If you have FCP3...then you can't edit this footage at all. FCS 3 with FCP 7...then do what Raf said.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Marinos Yiannakis
on Apr 4, 2011 at 9:51:53 am

Sorry. Final Cut Pro Studio 3. I have the XD Cam transfer tool because i used XD Cam before. But does the card go into my memory card reader?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 4, 2011 at 10:43:19 am

What are "the normal card readers?" You need a reader that accepts Express34 cards...that is what the SxS cards are. Not CF, or SD...but Express34. Some Mac Laptops have that slot built in.

Shane

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 4, 2011 at 5:25:09 pm

[Shane Ross] "What are "the normal card readers?" You need a reader that accepts Express34 cards...that is what the SxS cards are. Not CF, or SD...but Express34. Some Mac Laptops have that slot built in."
Right.
Unless you have a MBP with Express slot, you need an SxS card reader, but you can also read the SxS from camera with an USB cable.
rafael

Return to posts index

Chris Rowe
on Apr 5, 2011 at 4:47:42 pm

Hi Rafael,
Is your described method above for XDCAM EX preferable to using Log and Transfer in FCP 7?

Shane has an excellent tutorial on the Cow on using Log and Transfer for Canon media and P2 cards but I use EX3 media as well. I'm wondering if there is a benefit of using one method over the other?

I know that L&T does not allow transcoding of EX media to ProRez and that may be a factor.

Shane - your thoughts?

Best regards,
Chris

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 5, 2011 at 5:24:49 pm

Hi Chris,
L&T is the recommended method to deal with most tapeless formats mostly because many of them (mostly AVCHD from DSLRs and some camcorders) do not support TC, so L&T is the only way for media managing or to reconnect media.
EX clips has SMPTE TC, so you don't really need L&T for this purpose.

Personally I don't use L&T because this force you to work with the full BPAV structure.
I shoot and use the Transfer plugin (stand alone) in the field to convert to QT.
I prefer to deal directly with the QT clips. BPAV folders is a source of problems.

In the end is all about media managing. Going L&T gives you more options that are important when dealing with high volume of footage (for example allows you to rename the footage)
That's not my case.
rafael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 5, 2011 at 5:30:06 pm

[Chris Rowe] "Shane - your thoughts?"

Use the Clip Browser, and then convert to ProRes via the Media Manager to retain metadata. IMHO.

Shane

Return to posts index

Chris Rowe
on Apr 5, 2011 at 9:35:08 pm

Rafael & Shane,
Thanks for the replies. Is there any reason I should not be mixing the converted (through L&T) ProRez files that originated from a Canon DSLR in the same sequence as native XDCAM EX files taken in through L&T?

The sequence settings are set to render ProRez and all other clip format attributes are the same.

Chris

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 5, 2011 at 11:55:35 pm

[Chris Rowe] "Thanks for the replies. Is there any reason I should not be mixing the converted (through L&T) ProRez files that originated from a Canon DSLR in the same sequence as native XDCAM EX files taken in through L&T?

The sequence settings are set to render ProRez and all other clip format attributes are the same."

No Problem, just set "Render in high precision" so all the sequence will be rendered at 10b.
rafael

Return to posts index

sharon brown
on Mar 4, 2012 at 1:27:13 pm

Hoping someone can help me. Working in FCP 7. What do I need to ingest ex3 footage into FCP7?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]