FORUMS: list search recent posts

Having trouble compressing Apple Prores 422 into H.264/.mov

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ernesto Roche
Having trouble compressing Apple Prores 422 into H.264/.mov
on Apr 2, 2011 at 6:18:08 pm

I have an 8 minute short film that i'm trying to upload on vimeo, its HD footage, and I'm having trouble converting the footage, i've tried the quicktime conversion and quicktime movie options on the Export> FCP 7 and i've also tried using compressor, but no success.

Here's one thing though, back in February I was able to easily do this, and I wouldn't get any "file error" in final cut. My friend had told me to make quicktimes of my short film so he can put it in this documentary he was working on. So i made a few quicktimes, and each one had different settings.(this was because he had FCP 6 and an older version of Quicktime i think)

So then comes March, and I changed up a few things in my short, and I decide to upload it on the internet, so i tried making a new quicktime of the short, and ever since then, my final cut always says something like "file error" or if it does finish converting the file, i open it up on quicktime and its just blackness. No sound or video, only text pops up. i've tried doing it through compressor, but the same thing, it either fails or if it does complete the job, footage is black and only text pops up.

Could it be possible that i've lost the default settings? how can i resolve this? thanks.

Also, sorry for my poor usage on FCP terms and such, not an expert.(obviously)

Return to posts index

Michael Pfost
Re: Having trouble compressing Apple Prores 422 into H.264/.mov
on Apr 2, 2011 at 6:24:58 pm

What are your settings for the source material and final format?

Return to posts index

Ernesto Roche
on Apr 2, 2011 at 6:31:02 pm

Ok settings on the sequence are

1920x1080 Hdtv1080i (16:9)
Pixel Aspect Ratio-Square
compressor-Apple Prores 422

Audio:
48khz
16-bit

I want the final format to be in

H.264
Linear PCM
1920x1080

hope that helps

Return to posts index

Chris Wiggles
on Apr 3, 2011 at 1:15:26 am

Have you just output a standalone quicktime file using the same settings as your project, which appears to be ProRes 422?

If that doesn't work, then perhaps you have some corrupted media or missing source files?

Try exporting a smaller portion, or half of the project and see if you can isolate what's messed up.

If you can get a standalone .mov file in ProRes, then you just take that into compressor and compress to whatever you need, here that would be h.264.

Regards,
Chris

Return to posts index

Ernesto Roche
on Apr 3, 2011 at 1:49:52 am

thanks a lot, i will try that.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Apr 3, 2011 at 2:17:44 pm

Two things.

First, you can't have a 'true' h.264 file with Linear PCM audio. It ought to be AAC audio (which is mp4 audio.)

Second, just send to compressor and pick the youtube preset. It'll put out a nice looking h.264 file ready to go for vimeo (even though it says youtube.)

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Michael Pfost
on Apr 3, 2011 at 8:51:23 pm

I would use a bitrate higher than 8,000 kbits/sec (unless the size is an issue). Try 12,000 or 16,000 kbits/sec for 1920x1080 video.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]