FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut and Macbook Air

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlo Ferraro
Final Cut and Macbook Air
on Apr 2, 2011 at 7:03:36 am

I work with an Imac Quad 2.93, 8GB Ram and 1GB Graphics card.
I used a Macbook 2.4 bus 800, 2GB Ram and 124MB integrated graphics to convert on field mts files from my NX Cam to AppleProRes, only installed FCP and Compressor and althought slow it did the job.
I am planning to substitute the latter with a Macbook Air 11. On my experience it should do the job, more slowly but it should do it.
Any reason to think it wouldn't?
Thanks

Imac 27 Quad 2.93, 8GB Ram, 1GB Graphics, FW800 external + Raid

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Final Cut and Macbook Air
on Apr 2, 2011 at 4:58:02 pm

I would NEVER NEVER NERVER attempt to edit video on a Macbook Air, especially not the 11".

Not only does it have less a then desirable CPU and GPU for video editing. An 11" screen is just to small to properly see every thing going in FCP.

But the biggest reason is that the Macbook Air only has USB, no FireWire, no Thunderbolt connection, no connection that is fast and constant. USB works via bursts of data and therefore just is not suitable for video editing. Video files are large and therefore have constant high data rates.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Carlo Ferraro
on Apr 2, 2011 at 5:24:08 pm

Zane:
I gess I did not express myself right, I do not intend to edit on it, that would be insane, only converting AVCHD video files from SDHC cards to AppleProRes by loading SD card on an USB reader and putting APR files on an external disc. I will only use FCP to be able to convert the files by log and transfer. The process will be very slow but I don't care it will be a back up of the SDHC cards.
None of the reasons you argue are against it. I do exactly the same when preparing to edit on my Imac, the difference is processor speed, ram memory and graphics memory. I do not need neither firewire nor thunderbolt, files can be imported and converted via USB.

Imac 27 Quad 2.93, 8GB Ram, 1GB Graphics, FW800 external + Raid

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 2, 2011 at 6:01:23 pm

[Carlo Ferraro] "None of the reasons you argue are against it."
The difference is that the Macbook Air never have been qualified to run any version of FC.
If you want to know what happens, you have to try your self.
I really don't know nobody running FC on an Air. I don't know even if will be possible to installing.
The installer may tell you that you can't go on because the hardware.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Fritz Faerber
on May 6, 2011 at 8:33:28 pm

Add-on (or hijack) to the original question:

I am a videojournalist. I operate solo and have to carry a TON of gear. I am considering the 13" macbook air with 2.13 GHz dual core.

Here's the issue. The weight and bulk of my laptop (2008 year MBPro 2.5 Ghz Core 2 duo) and PMW-EX3, sticks, lights and various other gear really makes travel tough. Every pound counts.

I use FCP but am not making feature films or highly produced work. I do some color correction and other adjustments that require rendering and then compress the final edit for filing via FTP.

The stories max out at around 5 minutes in length.

Will a macbook air suffice? I know it isn't optimal, but in the field, lightweight and small is better.

ff

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on May 6, 2011 at 8:45:03 pm

If your a video journalist then you should know better then to edit video via USB.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Fritz Faerber
on May 6, 2011 at 8:55:50 pm

Yes. I do know better. My intention would be to ingest video onto internal drive, edit quickly n the field and offload media to external drive for archiving when I return to my desktop.
I am not Planning on making this my main editing computer. But, when I need to hike out into middle of nowhere, shoot video of destruction and quickly file, I would like to carry less gear and go as bare bones as Possible.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 6, 2011 at 9:19:46 pm

Fritz,
Again, if that would work, I would be using an AirBook for the field.
Is not just about performance, but system specs. You will need to crack the installer to be able to install FC on an AirBook.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Fritz Faerber
on May 6, 2011 at 10:24:17 pm

Thanks Rafael for the input.

I'm wondering if anyone has TRIED running Final Cut on an air. I'm not saying it can be done.

I am hoping Apple will marry the light weight of the air to FC at some point. I see you can have express preinstalled on the air... so it led me to wonder if Final Cut pro would work.

Any reduction of gear weight may help me dodge back surgery number three.

Return to posts index

raika gazder
on Apr 27, 2012 at 12:44:09 pm

hey, even i am looking for the same solution, the lightest 1 GB graphic card mac is 2.54 kg... talk about creative baggage.. have you found a solution

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]