FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2CMS obsolete for Final Cut 7?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Walsh
P2CMS obsolete for Final Cut 7?
on Apr 1, 2011 at 7:48:02 pm

I've been doing a lot of P2 work recently, and using an old, pre-Final Cut workflow from my Avid days.

I use P2CMS (the panasonic software) to ingest the cards to my hard drive, then into FC7 via log and transfer. I use P2CMS to copy twice (one primary and one backup), and then to confirm the contents of the copied directories.

I've been having uneven FC results (to put it mildly), sometimes FC can see the footage, sometimes with spans, sometimes without, sometimes not at all. I always have to open each folder and point it to the contents directory.

I realize it's not the software, it's me. Have I selected the wrong option in P2CMS (ingest vs. export?). Should I forget P2CMS, and get Shotput to do my hard drive copy and backup? Any suggestions welcome.

Chris Walsh

http://www.musicfog.com
Silver Spring, MD
Final Cut & AVID MC5
Former Windows User and edit* lover

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: P2CMS obsolete for Final Cut 7?
on Apr 1, 2011 at 8:19:11 pm

A lot of folks love Shotput.
I choose "Export" w/ Verify on from within P2CMS and have not had any problems with it

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 1, 2011 at 9:39:53 pm

P2CMS, IMHO, was obsolete out of the gate. Horrid application to deal with. I have used P2 Genie (now gone) and ShotPut Pro only for all my tapeless offloads.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Apr 1, 2011 at 10:43:25 pm

I know you hate P2CMS Shane.

I don't mind it all that much. Does the job.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 1, 2011 at 10:58:03 pm

YOU know I hate it. But the other Chris didn't.

Horrid app...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.

Return to posts index

Michael Morabe
on Dec 2, 2011 at 12:12:37 am

I've tried several ways to get our footage off to external/internal drives and even using "export > Compare" for verification, it doesn't want to span the clips. 3 clips that turn into 6 is getting very annoying. Am I missing something here?

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Dec 2, 2011 at 4:34:27 pm

Hi Michael,

Nice use of search digging up this old post!

Using P2CMS to move P2 media will simply move it and not merge spanned clips. P2CMS will show the clips as merged but the actual .mxf files will not be merged into one. Where are you seeing 3 clips and where are you seeing 6?

Return to posts index

Michael Morabe
on Dec 2, 2011 at 4:42:31 pm

My process is basically loading up the P2 cards, launching p2cms, offloading the footage to internal drive > external drive, then using RayLight to instantly work with the files. Maybe it's the fact that RayLight is just finding XMF files and creating .mov links from those files without looking for spanned info.

So after RayLight does this and imports the files into FCP, instead of 3 clips that I want (all 3 are spanned), I get 6 individual clips that I have to work with instead =/

FCP 7 Editor, Gaffer, Grip, Camera man...Swiss Army Knife!

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Dec 2, 2011 at 5:13:44 pm

Never worked with Raylight but suspect you are correct in that it does not merge spanned clips.

The only apps I'm aware of that do correctly merge spanned clips are FCP7 and CatDV with the mxf option and Calibrated's MXF Import. I'm sure you're familiar with how FCP does it. CatDV w/mxf along with MXF Import will present spanned clips correctly in a CatDV catalog. From there you can export them as reference movies or send them directly into FCP. The only thing about sending them into a FCP project is it will make a seq with the clips edited together, not a single movie.

Return to posts index

Michael Morabe
on Dec 2, 2011 at 5:20:22 pm

Thanks! We have used log and transfer for a long time now, but ever since updating to 7 on all our systems, it always creates digital artifacts no matter how we try it. So I had started looking into alternate ways to speed up our workflow with no problems, so we started with the P2CMS route.

I'll check on the other 2 programs you mentioned. Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Michael Morabe
on Dec 2, 2011 at 5:34:53 pm

I checked out Calibrated's MXF Import, and I like how it is integrated with FCP. I did the import folder option and noticed that it brought the contents in, but did not span the files. Is there a certain way to use it?

Should I try CatDV instead?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 2, 2011 at 5:37:39 pm

Sorry, Calibrated does not span the clips. Nor does Raylight. MXF4Mac will span the clips, when you use the Atomic Importer. Pretty slick really.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Michael Morabe
on Dec 2, 2011 at 5:45:22 pm

Very interesting since that's exactly what I'm looking for.

Would I use MXF4MAC as a standalone and not have to use P2CMS at all? Do they have a trial version at all?

Return to posts index

Michael Morabe
on Dec 2, 2011 at 6:04:38 pm

Shane I sent you an email about MXF4MAC. Would love to talk to you about it and workflow.

Return to posts index

Michael Morabe
on Dec 2, 2011 at 6:12:59 pm

Okay Shane here's my questions:

With MXF4Mac, will this be the only program I need to ingest and import into FCP? Do I need to use P2CMS anymore?

I looked on the website and don't know which program I need to actually use (there's a ton of them it seems).

How would the workflow be using this program (or is it a plugin?) after loading the P2 card into the reader?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 2, 2011 at 6:14:33 pm

[Michael Morabe] "
Would I use MXF4MAC as a standalone and not have to use P2CMS at all?"

Some use P2CMS to back up the cards. Personally, I avoid the app at all costs. I despise it. It is useful for backup...but I prefer Shotput Pro from imagineproducts.com. It does a far superior job.

I would NEVER use P2CMS for dealing with P2.

No demo of MXF4Mac that I know of...but Jeremy Garchow does have a tutorial: http://library.creativecow.net/articles/garchow_jeremy/dvc_pro_hd.php

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Dec 2, 2011 at 6:41:57 pm

[Michael Morabe] " ...but did not span the files. Is there a certain way to use it? "

Calibrated is simply an MXF plugin that presents mxf as QT. CatDV uses it to work with mxf. It's CatDV with the mxf option that does the merging, not Calibrated alone. CatDV will work with MXF4Mac as well though according to Shane MXF4Mac does merge so you may need only that.

CatDV is one handy app I must say.

Return to posts index

Michael Morabe
on Dec 2, 2011 at 7:37:45 pm

I really appreciate the input guys. I checked out the tutorial that Shane posted and I'm sold!

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Dec 2, 2011 at 10:03:51 pm

One thing in Calibrated favor is price. MXF4Mac is $670 and Calibrated is $250. With Calibrated you will need CatDV Pro w/mxf for spanned files which is $595. If you need an asset manager with a great toolset consider CatDV and Calibrated. You'll get the same mxf abilities plus CatDV Pro for $175 more.

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Apr 3, 2011 at 1:49:26 am

I agree, P2CMS is a typically poorly designed Panasonic P2 product. I does a few things we find handy. We use it to combine multiple cards into one CONTENTS folder, or as we call it, an "Uber Card". We then use P2CMS to modify the xml metadata, specifically "Program name". We use Calibrated MXFImport to map this to Tape/Reel. Panasonic felt it necessary to omit that time honored and important metadata. We require it.

Never used Shot Put... can it do the above! We'd dump P2CMS in a second if it did. Didn't find anything on Imagine's web site to indicate it does.

Thanks
John Heagy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]