FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to backup FCP projects

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Louis Basslines
How to backup FCP projects
on Apr 1, 2011 at 4:37:39 pm

I have 2 2T Raid drives. I have used carbon copy cloner to backup my G raid 1 to G raid 2.
When I open any fcp projects in Graid 2 they struggle to open the project, asking me for all sorts of references to G raid 1. I assume that the start of my problems would be that the session is looking for destination files in drive 1 ? Anyway it seems I am way off.

Can anybody link me to a forum topic on workflow with 2 drives.

I need to fedex a session OS today but I cant get it to open on my cloned drive. I even tried exporting all of the files to a folder on G raid 2 and starting a new session and importing those files. However when FCP boots it starts looking for all sorts of stuff from G raid 1 and wont even open FCP without timely searching and warnings.

Thanks

Macbook Pro 2.8Ghz Intel core duo 4GB ram OS10.6.6
FCP 6.0.6

Return to posts index

Louis Basslines
Re: How to backup FCP projects
on Apr 1, 2011 at 4:41:35 pm

I am guessing everything has to be archived using media manager. I would like to start fresh and open a new project on Graid 2 and import 3 files. Very simple. However FCP when booting up wants to reference a whole heap of stuff from past sessions on Graid 1 ?

FCP 6.0.6

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 1, 2011 at 4:47:05 pm

You can't copy everything from one drive to another and then leave the old drive mounted while testing the new one.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 1, 2011 at 4:44:57 pm

Use the copy function in Media Manager. It copies all of the media used in selected sequences and/or bins to a single directory on another drive, and creates a new project on that drive. There is no relinking necessary. Searching here on the Cow will uncover instructions, as will the FCP user manual.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Apr 1, 2011 at 4:54:59 pm

Backup your proj. files to a drive other then the one with the media on it.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Louis Basslines
on Apr 1, 2011 at 5:22:23 pm

Media manager seems to be chugging along and the way to go. Chris are you saying that there are advantages to saving project files on the Mac HD and media files on external drives ?

FCP 6.0.6

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Apr 1, 2011 at 5:27:08 pm

If your media drives fail; you always have your proj. files which have your EDL and you can re-load your proj. Nothing lost but time.

Now, if your proj. files where on the same drive that went down with the media.... where are you then?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Apr 1, 2011 at 5:35:00 pm

If your RAID 1 protected it won't matter if your drive goes down with the project file. You still have it on the other RAID 1 drive. I keep everything related to a project in one master folder with many individule folders inside holding all my assets oranized by folder. With RAID 1 I dont worry about losing anything and as I edit everything is saved to two drives and kept together so I don't lose anything. No worries.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 2, 2011 at 12:44:35 am

RAID 1 is okay for redundancy but it is not good as a back up. If a file goes corrupt or accidentally gets deleted/overwritten RAID 1 won't help you. If a power surge fries your gear RAID 1 won't help you. Back ups need to be kept separate from the 'active' storage (and ideally in a different geographical location).

-Andrew

3.2GHz 8-core, FCP 6.0.4, 10.5.5
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (6.8.1)

Return to posts index

Louis Basslines
on Apr 5, 2011 at 5:34:01 pm

Ok if I have a drive with say 10 projects on it and each project has a bunch of sessions with different edits. Is there any way to manage or batch manage all projects on a specified drive to another drive? or do you have to manage each project individually.

Also is it possible to manage a bunch of sessions within a project or do you need to Media manage each session individually?

FCP 6.0.6

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 5, 2011 at 5:53:07 pm

The way MM works is quite simple... You can select as many or as few sequences and/or bins as you wish in the FCP browser, and then MM will take all the media from those items that you select and it will put it into a single folder on a drive that you specify.

If you wish to do numerous sequences from ten different jobs at once, you could simply open a new project and copy just the sequences you want into that new project, then Media Manage those sequences. Of course, MM will copy all of the media from all of those projects and sequences into a single folder. That may be good for you or it may not... You'll have to make that decision.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]