FORUMS: list search recent posts

G Raid Slow Communication with Mac

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duncan Hill
G Raid Slow Communication with Mac
on Apr 1, 2011 at 4:29:08 pm

Hi,

I have an external 1 Terrabyte G Raid drive connected to a Mac Pro (Mac OSX 10.5.8) using a FireWire 800 connection at both ends. I have been using both of these with FCP 7 to cut my project for the last 2 months, with absolutely no problems.

Yesterday, I fired up my FCP as normal, but it took an AGE to load, probably four minutes. Once I finally get into my project and press play, it hangs on a clip and when it finally decides to play, it can only handle about 2 seconds before the 'Warning - Dropped Frames' box appears and refuses to play anymore and in most cases, crashes.

The odd thing is, when I take the project and drive over to my my Mac Book Pro Laptop, it plays as usual, with no problems at all.

I have uninstalled and re-installed FCP 7 on my Mac Pro, but the same problems are occurring.

Does anyone have any suggestions - Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Duncan

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
Re: G Raid Slow Communication with Mac
on Apr 1, 2011 at 7:01:13 pm

You could check the disk for errors.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Adam Duplay
on Apr 1, 2011 at 9:41:18 pm

Is the external drive too full? More than 80%?

Adam Duplay

Return to posts index

Harry Bromley-Davenport
on Apr 1, 2011 at 11:27:31 pm

I've had problems in the past with G-Raid external drives - I have several - and each time it was solved by their replacing the power supply unit.

Harry

Return to posts index

Duncan Hill
on Apr 2, 2011 at 7:38:20 am

Thanks for the feedback.

I've already checked the disks for errors and all is fine with both the G raid and my desk top computer.

The drive is 70% full - but as I said before, it works fine on my laptop, but not on my desktop, so I'm thinking it must be a computer issue???

I've now also swapped the power supply unit, still no joy.

Any other thoughts???

Thanks
Duncan

Return to posts index

Scott Robert
on Aug 15, 2011 at 6:21:38 am

I'm having issues with G-Raids. The drive works from my laptop fine. Two G-raids malfunctioned from my computer and again a 3rd one is freezing it. My system seems to be regecting them for some reason. Mac Pro 3.0 using firewire 800.

Seems like after 15 minutes of fast data transferring (even copying files), the drive freezes and I have to force shutdown the drive to free my computer from freezing. Other drives work fine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]