FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cropping and Multiclips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Clev
Cropping and Multiclips
on Mar 31, 2011 at 11:20:14 pm

Sorry if this has been covered before but I did a search and nothing turned up.

I have a three camera angle HD capture that I am able to convert to a multiclip and edit with cuts without a problem. But now I would like to crop the footage from two of the cameras (each a different crop) and leave the third as is. It is OK if the final product is less than 1920 x 1080 as it is destined for the web. Can this be done within the framework of multiclips and if so, how would I go about doing it? I imagine I would have to downsize each source (by cropping or down-resing) before turning the lot into a multiclip. Would it be easier to use compressor for this step? Also, any tips on keeping footage to the 16:9 aspect ratio while cropping would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any clues.
- RC

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Cropping and Multiclips
on Apr 1, 2011 at 2:35:48 am

Why not cut...fix one...then (follow this...)- copy

Find (name of shot) ALL....and paste attributes?

That should work..

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Tim Wilsbach
on Apr 1, 2011 at 1:37:53 pm

Hi Rob,
First, decide what your final output settings will be. Let's say for the web you're going to output to 1280x720. I would cut the show for pacing & content in a same as source sequence.

Once you've got all your cuts made, then I'd put it in a 1280x720 sequence. Your uncropped angle will simply scale down, and your other two angles you can pan and scan to achieve the crop you're looking for.

Then follow Jeff's advice about copying and pasting attributes for each angle.

-Tim Wilsbach
Will cut your baby. He edits & directs, but what he really wants to do is affect.
wilsbach.tv

Return to posts index

Rob Clev
on Apr 1, 2011 at 4:21:28 pm

Thanks Guys, this is what I did.

In my original 1920x1080 multiclip sequence, I simply double-clicked on each 'cut' in the timeline and adjusted the scale and 'pan and scan' in the motion tab and viewer for the angles that I wanted to crop. This required that I bump the scale to 120 for some cuts in order to get the crop I desired.

I then 'shared' the whole sequence into a 960x540 Web HD QuickTime package by exporting it to compressor.

This was very easy to do but I wonder if another method would yield better quality results. As Tim suggested, would it be better to do the downsizing to 960x540 in the timeline sequence, or doesn't it matter?

Thanks again for your suggestions!
- RC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]