FORUMS: list search recent posts

Easy question for the Masters

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Allen
Easy question for the Masters
on Mar 31, 2011 at 10:11:41 pm

I shot an interview that is now prores 422 1920x1080 psf 23.98 (from Color). New information (after the shoot) forces me to use a large majority of 720x480 29.97 4x3. The final project will be projected at a large event and the subject is my companys CEO. This has to be right and I will do a few tests, however I am sure someone can tell me from experience the best way to proceed.

I know to stay in prores 422 (or HQ). I feel I should downres the HD to SD and go from there and I do have a KonaLHI by the way. So my real question is:

Should I use a frame rate of 23.98 or 29.97 (all but main interview will now be SD) What is the best way to change the frame rate. Just drop in the new timeline and render? I do have FCS 3. I could do a hardware conversion with Kona LHi.

I never have had to do this because I plan up front so I will not have to. This time someone changed the plan so I am having to adjust.

Mike

Michael S. Allen
Video Producer, Instructional Technologies
TSYS Product & Knowledge Development

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Easy question for the Masters
on Mar 31, 2011 at 10:56:15 pm

[Michael Allen] "I shot an interview that is now prores 422 1920x1080 psf 23.98"

Shot on what? Tape or tapeless?

Return to posts index

Michael Allen
on Apr 1, 2011 at 1:14:46 pm

I shot it on a Sony F350 XD Cam HD 1440x1080 23.98 35mps. Then I sent it in to color and currently have a 1920x1080 Prores 422 23.98 version or the interview, however I can easily go back to the original secquence. What do you suggest?

Also, as a side note, I have not recalibrated my Dreamcolor in a while because I really could not get it to calibrate on my new Mac editing system (as a reference monitor). I have all the hardware that you suggested in your article, but the calibration did not work. I finally got it to calibrate on a pc and I have not recalibrated since I first got it about 6 months ago or more. Do you know if the problem was ever fixed?

Mike

Michael S. Allen

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 1, 2011 at 3:32:30 pm

[Michael Allen] "What do you suggest?"

I suggest that you were that tuxedo in your picture to work everyday!

In all seriousness, I have to respectfully disagree with Jeff's advice that it's easier to remove frames than add them. In fact, it's the other way around. Adding pulldown has been the standard for decades to get 24p material to ntsc as you aren't making up new pictures as you would have to do to go from 29.97 to 23.98. If I were you, I would add pull-down and downconvert the files in compressor. You can choose to use the original files or your rendered Color files. You can also set the crop so that the interviews are 4x3 that way as well. I would then capture your 4x3 material in the same codec. ProRes is fine, no reason for HQ.

[Michael Allen] "Also, as a side note, I have not recalibrated my Dreamcolor in a while because I really could not get it to calibrate on my new Mac editing system (as a reference monitor)."

Do you have the latest software from XRite installed? It's important to use it if you are on Snow Leopard.

http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=1144&Action=support&SoftwareI...

Calibration works just fine here. I use my laptop to calibrate.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Michael Allen
on Apr 1, 2011 at 4:03:41 pm

What is the best way to "add pulldown" and do I set duration to 100% of source or 80% or source in compressor? Really, I have always planned my projects so I have never had to do this before. I always keep the same formats and frame rates just so this would not happen. Well, I guess I should be happy I made it this long.

Thanks for all your help,
Mike

Michael S. Allen

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 1, 2011 at 4:15:45 pm

[Michael Allen] "What is the best way to "add pulldown" and do I set duration to 100% of source or 80% or source in compressor?"

In the encoder tab under the Video button, make sure that the frame rate is set to 29.97 (and choose codec). Audio set to passthrough.

In the frame controls:
-Resize set to best.
-Output Fields set to lower.
-Deinterlace set to Fast (this is crucial).
-Rate Conversion set to Fast (this is crucial).
-Duration should be 100% of source.

Geometry tab:

Set the Frame size to D1 NTSC 720x486. Now this is where you can choose to wither letterbox, turn anamorphic or crop. You might want to choose anamorphic so that you can keep the most resolution and recrop the footage for 4x3 in the timeline. To do that, choose the frame size as 720x486 and the Pixel Aspect as NTSC CCIR 601/DV (16:9). This will give you anamorphic files and upon placing them in the a 4x3 timeline, FCp will automagically letterbox them. At that point, you then scale up the images to for the 4x3 and reposition as needed. Try a few seconds of a file as a test and see if you like it.

Hope that helps.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Apr 1, 2011 at 2:38:01 am

I'd change the 29.97 to match the 23.98 - that way you'll have everything with the same cadence (it's always easier to remove frames than add them.) I'd use Compressor - but with the Kona will do a RT frame rate conversion, I'd do that.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]