FORUMS: list search recent posts

Two captures from same tape, same cam look different

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Keith Whyte
Two captures from same tape, same cam look different
on Mar 31, 2011 at 6:49:34 pm

While I'm here, Here's another wobbler for you..

Can anyone offer any explanation as to how two captures, from the same tape, using the same camera (Sony HVR-Z1U), the same mac, the same version of FCP, same everything basically, except for the date of capture, can have slightly different contrast?

I captured a segment, then later realised I needed a few seconds more from the beginning, went back and captured those few seconds again, butt-joined the clips and there is a noticable difference in the contrast/brightness (in the sky a cloud all but dissapears!) I tried moving the join and I observe the same effect no matter where I place the join across a 5 second capture.

Thanks!!

Keith.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
Re: Two captures from same tape, same cam look different
on Mar 31, 2011 at 7:42:49 pm

That's more of a cinematography question. Exterior lighting's contrast ratio changes every 8 minutes as the sun moves in the sky. Add moving clouds to the mix and matching exposure requires some technical ability. This is why it's important to learn to shoot in manual mode using either a light meter, the waveform, or the zebras. The situation you describe is not created by the camera, format, editing, codec; it's created by the shooting environment.

Return to posts index

Keith Whyte
on Mar 31, 2011 at 8:12:34 pm

Hi Richard, thanks for the reply.

I don't think I explained myself correctly.

The SAME tape, the same shot, the same timecode, the same everything. but the two captures are not identical.

It's like this.

First I captured 01:16:15.00 - 01:20:00.00.

Then I realised that I needed to use 01:16:00.00 to 01:16:15.00, so I went back and captured 01:16:00.00 to 01:16:30.00

So now I have captured the portion with timecode 01:16:15.00 to 01:16:30.00 twice.

I butt joined the newly captured segment at the beginning of the timeline. I noticed the change in contrast on the join so to double check, I tried moving the join around in the available area between 01:16:15.00 to 01:16:30.00, that's when I became convinced of the difference in contrast between the two captures.

how can this be?

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Apr 1, 2011 at 4:47:38 pm

LOL! Sorry about that!

That's a bummer of a problem, never seen it happen before. I have two questions:

1. Are the details of the same, as seen in the browser details of the videos?

2. Do the first clips have any effects applied?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]