FORUMS: list search recent posts

pal to ntsc converter for output

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vanessa Paquette
pal to ntsc converter for output
on Mar 28, 2011 at 3:57:25 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to output a PAL FCP project to NTSC Digital Betacam. To do so, I'm passing through a HD CAM PAL deck into a Teranex converter to then come out of the Teranex in 59.94 NTSC into the DIgital Betacam.

The image and sound work but the timecode dosen't follow. Any suggestions ?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: pal to ntsc converter for output
on Mar 28, 2011 at 5:58:14 pm

[Vanessa Paquette] "The image and sound work but the timecode dosen't follow. Any suggestions ?"
Hi Vanessa,
Are you controlling the HD-Cam by RS-422?
That's the only way you can get the TC out of FC to reach the HD-Cam desk and them the Teranex.
When the Teranex will get the original PAL TC, should be able to generate a matching NTSC TC to be printed on the DigiBeta desk.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Vanessa Paquette
on Mar 28, 2011 at 6:27:17 pm

Thank you for you reply Rafael.

The timecode follows from FCP to the HD CAM in PAL. But once I send my signal from the HD CAM in PAL to the converter, the video and audio reaches the Digital Betacam in NTSC but the timecode dosen't follow. It just gives me a random timecode. For example, my output on the HD CAM will be at 09:59:00:00 but on my digital betacam my timecode is 11:02:00;20 (I'm just giving a random example). I don't understand where it's getting that timecode from ?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 28, 2011 at 7:38:20 pm

[Vanessa Paquette] "The timecode follows from FCP to the HD CAM in PAL. But once I send my signal from the HD CAM in PAL to the converter,"
OK. Your HDCam is getting the FCs TC, but:
- This doesn't means that the Teranex is getting that TC. How is sending the TC the HDCam to the Teranex?
Is we are talking about a Teranex Mini, the only option is embed on the SDI.

Are you sure the HDCam is embedding the TC on the SDI?
That may not happens if the desk is in StandBy or EE.
I know that cameras only embed the TC when are on REC mode. Otherwise they put out only Video and Audio.
When the Teranex gets the PAL TC, i guess should be able to "translate" that to a matching NTSC TC.

BUT, I'm not sure if the Teranex MINI is able to do it.
In the brochure of the "Teranex V100" there is a clear reference to the "Input TC", but not on the MINI brochure.

TERANEX V100: Vertical Interval Time Code (VITC):
- Timecode Generator
- Input timecode (VITC) delayed to automatically match the video processing delay
- Jam Sync Mode

TERANEX MINI: Vertical Interval Time Code (VITC)
- Supports vertical interval timecode (VITC) delay to automatically match the video processing delay.

May be this function disabled? No idea, but I don't think a Pro device like the Teranex will just put out a fully random TC without even an option to reset to 00 (the V100 seems fully adjustable and synchronizable).

I hope this is not too confusing.
I'm talking only for what I see on the brochures.
I would start by making sure that the HDcam send the TC to the Teranex.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
on Mar 28, 2011 at 11:38:19 pm

Vanessa,

We have Teranex platforms across the different models...If you can tell me what model you have I can assist. VITC is handled differently between the different models and you need VERY specific settings depending on which Teranex you have as well as how your Digital Betacam deck is set and how you have things routed...

I have a lot of experience with this and it won't be easy to explain on the forum, but if you still need help, reply here with your email and I can help you...

Chad Brewer
Senior Broadcast Videotape Operator
TeleVersions, LLC - Chicago

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]