FORUMS: list search recent posts

Digitizing Old Video8 and Hi8 tapes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Isaac Brillant
Digitizing Old Video8 and Hi8 tapes
on Mar 28, 2011 at 12:09:07 am

Hi,

I'd like to convert my old home-movie "Video8" and "Hi8" tapes from analog to digital, and import them using FCP. (I also have a few "Digital 8" tapes but I've been able to Log & Capture those from my old Sony Digital 8 Handycam.)

What would be the best workflow to digitize my Video and Hi8 tapes?

My plan was to dub them onto miniDV, going from my old Digital 8 Handycam to a miniDV camcorder, through the yellow/white/red RCA connectors, and then Log and Capture the miniDV tape.

(I'm assuming it's impossible to go from a Digital 8 camera to an HPX170 through the RCA jacks, and dub onto a P2 card?)

If I dub to miniDV, would that only be 1 generation loss? And would that loss even be noticeable given that the original Video8 is something like 240 x ?180?, and the Hi8 is 560 x 480?

Also, would there be any reason to use a professional miniDV camera or deck for the dubbing, or is a consumer miniDV camcorder fine for this task?

Lastly, is there anything I should be aware of in the process of dubbing from 560x480 or 240x180 to 720x480?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: Digitizing Old Video8 and Hi8 tapes
on Mar 28, 2011 at 12:30:18 am

I think dubbing the tapes is a good solution. It gives you a digital master tape, and there is no further loss in capturing. You can also hold the disk captured media as a second archive.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Isaac Brillant
on Mar 28, 2011 at 12:56:52 am

Thanks -
And dubbing to any old miniDV camcorder would be fine?

Incidentally, I'm not sure why this is, but I AM able to play the analogue tape using the Log & Capture in FCP, and watch it in the preview. But underneath the playing video, it says "waiting for timecode" - which I assume doesn't exist, and it wont capture.

thanks!

Return to posts index

Ken Jones
on Mar 28, 2011 at 1:20:48 am

Doesn't your Digital 8 camcorder have a firewire jack? A few years ago I borrowed a Digital 8 camcorder and dubbed all of my 8mm and Hi8 to MiniDV over a firewire cable. The dubs looked perfect. I then captured the MiniDV tapes to FCP.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 28, 2011 at 3:41:08 am

Yes, they do. Should be able to capture both formats via DV firewire directly into system. If you still want a tape backup, output to firewire deck, p2 card, whatever.

No reason to capture to pro res at all. DV is DV. You're just going to eat up 4x the drive space. You might want to edit in a pro res sequence in the future, but no reason to capture DV as pro res.

Return to posts index

Isaac Brillant
on Mar 28, 2011 at 9:24:12 pm

what should I capture Video8 as? Also DV at 720x480, or is that also taking up more space than necessary, since Video8 is less 240 x something?

thanks

Return to posts index

Isaac Brillant
on Mar 28, 2011 at 8:03:08 pm

Hi,

Thanks for replying. My camera does have a firewire jack (Its the Sony DCR TRV 510). It will play in FCP, through the firewire jack, but FCP won't record it. Says "waiting for timecode" and then if I hit Capture Now, the image goes gray.

Or was your point that I can transfer from Digital 8 to a miniDV camera using a firewire instead of an RCA cable? I guess I'd need a firewire cable that has the very small prong at the end for going into the camera. I'm not sure what the term is for it. I think it's called iLink?

I can also physically connect it via firewire to my HPX170, but nothing happens...

Return to posts index

Ken Jones
on Mar 28, 2011 at 10:43:32 pm

You will need a firewire cable with a 4-pin connector on both ends. Generally, camcorders have a 4-pin connector while desktop computers have 6-pin connectors.

When I transferred my 10-12, 60 minute 8mm and Hi8 tapes, I knew that I did not want to capture everything. I also had to give the digital8 camcorder back to my friend. MiniDV tapes cost about $3 each, so for an investment of $30-$40 I now had new digital masters I could capture with my own miniDV camcorder at my leisure. I ultimately decided to only capture two of the tapes and the rest of the new minDV tapes have sat on a shelf. These days I don't have any way of playing an 8mm or Hi8 tape, but I have several options for capturing from a miniDV tape. On top of that, my 8mm and Hi8 tapes were starting to degrade, so I figured it best transfer everything to a new digital tape.

I am a BIG proponent of batch capturing with time code. I hardly ever transfer anything as an uncontrollable device because sometimes I will want to recapture a tape. You can't do that if you don't capture it with time code. If I am in a hurry and working on a deadline and the client doesn't want to pay for the the extra time to transfer the footage that is their decision. But for my own personal projects I will go ahead and transfer everything over to a tape with time code.

Return to posts index

Isaac Brillant
on Mar 28, 2011 at 10:47:45 pm

good point. I'd go that route, except that right now I dont have a miniDV camera. I may make master miniDV backups later. I dont think I'll every actually edit this footage into anything - I just dont want my only copy to be these 10 - 15 year old tapes. thanks!

Return to posts index

Ken Jones
on Mar 28, 2011 at 10:54:12 pm

I assumed you had a miniDV camcorder when your original post stated:

"My plan was to dub them onto miniDV, going from my old Digital 8 Handycam to a miniDV camcorder, through the yellow/white/red RCA connectors, and then Log and Capture the miniDV tape. "

Return to posts index

Michael Pfost
on Mar 28, 2011 at 2:43:15 am

Under "Device Control" try the setting "Uncontrollable Device."

Also, if cost is not an issue -- make sure you have a good capture device and save the video as ProRes 4:2:2. You'll have excellent results.

For Digital8 you can capture directly on a PC with one of many utility programs. I don't believe this option exists for OS X.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on Mar 28, 2011 at 7:09:25 pm

[Isaac Brillant] "Incidentally, I'm not sure why this is, but I AM able to play the analogue tape using the Log & Capture in FCP, and watch it in the preview. But underneath the playing video, it says "waiting for timecode" - which I assume doesn't exist, and it wont capture. "

As was mentioned earlier, in your capture window under the capture settings tab, change to uncontrollable device and it will stop "waiting for timecode". Then all you have to do is hit capture now and you won't have to bother with dubs.

Return to posts index

Isaac Brillant
on Mar 28, 2011 at 8:12:53 pm

It worked! ("Using non controllable device")

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Mar 28, 2011 at 1:24:35 am

I just helped my dad do something similar...looking for lowest cost solution...I was able to figure out a tweak using available equipment...your gear may not have same functionality, but this worked. (I was using AVID DV, but same would work for FCP)

Using a DCR-TRV22 Sony MiniDV camera, you run the source (VHS or hi8) into that camera...it has a throughput function (your camera may not), doing a real-time convert to DV basically doing what a capture card would be doing.

Then turn off deck control...and do a live capture

-Jason

Return to posts index

Isaac Brillant
on Mar 28, 2011 at 8:07:46 pm

Thanks everyone - I'll try out all these options and will let you know what happens!

Return to posts index

Isaac Brillant
on Mar 28, 2011 at 9:17:32 pm

Hi,

What resolution and codec would you you digitize the Video8 as? I was able to capture it as DV, but maybe - since Video8 only has 240 lines of resolution - capturing it at 720x480 is a waste of space?

BTW, when i post this reply, will other people on the thread see it as well, or do I need to repost?

thanks

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 28, 2011 at 10:21:09 pm

[Isaac Brillant] "What resolution and codec would you you digitize the Video8 as? I was able to capture it as DV, but maybe - since Video8 only has 240 lines of resolution - capturing it at 720x480 is a waste of space?"
Your Video8 puts out (Video OUT) standard Analog NTSC.
Your only option with the DV camera is to digitize and record that as DV NTSC.
If you want any different codec you need an IO card.

You don't need to record on the DV tape and L&Capture later.
You can capture directly the FW/DV Stream on FC.
Use "Uncontrollable Device" and "capture now".
With

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Isaac Brillant
on Mar 28, 2011 at 10:43:56 pm

Great, thanks!

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Mar 28, 2011 at 2:45:10 am

[Isaac Brillant] "I'm assuming it's impossible to go from a Digital 8 camera to an HPX170 through the RCA jacks, and dub onto a P2 card?)
"

This is not possible with the HPX-170. It does not have any INPUTS. Only output.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]