FORUMS: list search recent posts

MacbookPro Configuration (HD EDITING)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Armani Del Rio
MacbookPro Configuration (HD EDITING)
on Mar 27, 2011 at 10:15:12 pm

Ok, I\'m making the big switch from PC to MAC. I\'m going to be editing HD 1080. So, I\'m also getting a camera. I been reading a lot threads on configurations of MacBookPros...but I\'m still a little confused. I\'m looking at the 15\". So, should I just get a mac and look into expanding my Ram and such after? Because apple has a lot of possible upgrades when you go to purchase the computer. What\'s the best configuration and is their anything I can\'t expand later that I should get now for the base model? I\'m new to macs, so please try to explain in detail or keep it simple haha.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: MacbookPro Configuration (HD EDITING)
on Mar 28, 2011 at 1:49:10 am

If you want to connect to external video devices, as of this writing there's little you can do with the15". You need the 17" for that with it's express card slot. It remains to be seen if the Thunderbolt port will be enough down the line for this. But I'd go with the 17" in any event just to get the screen space.

I'd add an SSD drive for the startup disk, and the RAM from Apple isn't as expensive as it used to be, so I'd buy that from them too .. as much as you can.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: MacbookPro Configuration (HD EDITING)
on Mar 28, 2011 at 1:07:39 pm

NAB 2011 might show products for Thunderbolt. Media drive speed and connectivity I think is the real issue. With Intel and Apple behind, it I think it will happen sooner than later. Connecting a broadcast monitor should figure in your decision. 17" does give you more real estate even if you use an extra computer monitor. And no matter what happens with thunderbolt, legacy stuff will still need the express slot.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz
; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]