FORUMS: list search recent posts

subclips - recapturing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
martha stiegman
subclips - recapturing
on Mar 25, 2011 at 9:01:06 pm

Hi everyone
i was advised the first time i captured my tapes, to down convert from HDV to DV. Now i am recapturing all the material again, in HDV (yes i know this was a stupid move. no i will never do it again).

some of the problems i'm encountering are related to my editing strategy - which was to make subclips, then edit using those.

problem 1: i can't figure out how to reconnect the subclips once i recapture the clip they derive from.

problem 2: FCP is creating far more clips than it did the first time i captured the material - for example one clip that's 45min originally, gets divided in 98 different clips - presumably because i paused while filming or because of drop frames. I have the "abort EET/PTV on dropped frames and the "Abort capture on dropped frames" unchecked in the user preferences.

anyone have advice about how to get out of this mess?

thanks so much

martha

ps - i'm using FCP 6.0.6

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: subclips - recapturing
on Mar 26, 2011 at 3:51:07 pm

When you capture HDV, there is an option to NOT have it make a separate file for each take... It's in the clip settings window of the log and capture window for HDV. Might try turning that off and give it another go.

You can also capture HDV as ProRes. Larger files, faster render though.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]