FORUMS: list search recent posts

Taoes Breaking Time Code

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kimberly Behzadi
Taoes Breaking Time Code
on Mar 24, 2011 at 12:45:48 pm

Hi.

I filmed my project on a SONY HD Mini DV.
I filmed the entire project, leaving ending time for the computer to chop of frames, same at the beginning.
I rewound the tape, logged the entirety of it.

THen because of some media clips going offline, I had to rewind and log the tapes again.
Now for some reason I keep getting "timecode breaks' so the tape is unable to be logged in its entirety.

I have NOT filmed over this tape
I did NOT playback the tape while recording.

ALL i have done is logged the tape, rewound it, and started again.

What's going on?!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Tapes Breaking Time Code
on Mar 24, 2011 at 3:46:20 pm

[Kimberly Behzadi] "What's going on?!"

Did you have the camera set to Free Run or Record Run for time code?

Set one way, the time code stops when the camera stops. Set the other way, the time code just keeps going, meaning the starting time code for the next shot is not one frame greater than the previous shot, but very different from the previous shot.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Taoes Breaking Time Code
on Mar 24, 2011 at 4:42:01 pm

First, the format you shot is referred to as HDV. Get in the habit of using the proper terminology, as it will help you when searching for answers.

Second, the nature of HDV is that it records \"long GOP\" MPEG, which is not frame-based - instead it stores digital information that is computed into frames on the fly during playback and capture. This is the source of your problem...

HDV requires a longer preroll than most other video formats, and user logging seldom sets the proper boundaries for it. Capturing the entire tape in one go is pretty much the only foolproof method that works consistently.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]