FORUMS: list search recent posts

DPX - Glue Tools - Final Cut - Color workflow problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexandra Wesche
DPX - Glue Tools - Final Cut - Color workflow problem
on Mar 23, 2011 at 2:53:49 pm

Hello all,

I haven't worked much with DPX since the Final Cut Studio 2 update and have now come upon an urgent problem.

I need to import 16bit DPX files into Final Cut, cut them on the timeline, then send to Color and back to FCP after correction.
I've tried this in serveral ways which lead to different problems.

First approach:

- Import DPX Sequence via Glue Tools DPX Import of Final Cut Pro 7
- Drop on timeline
- Send to Color
- Opens just fine, color correct, render
- Send to Final Cut Pro

It switches to Final Cut, but doesn't open the new corrected sequence.

Second approach:

- Instead of sending the corrected movie to Final Cut, Export XML
- Import XML into Final Cut

Again it switches to Final Cut, but I get the following error message (translation from German): The xml transformation has been cancelled due to a serious error.

Third approach:

Because I don't have much time at the moment I thought I'd just go back to the older workflow of putting the dpx files into a mov container first (I haven't worked much with dpx since FCS2).

So I opened one of the dpx files with QT7 and exported into an uncompressed mov file and already have the first problem.

It seems to cut off all the shadows. When I open the newly exported mov file with QT7 and compare it with the still open dpx sequence it looks even more flat than the dpx files and seems to has lost all shadow detail.
When I drop the mov file into FCP, send to Color and try to get some contrast into the film the shadows look completely crushed.

Sending back to Final Cut works now though.

I've searched through the archive and read the Glue Tools manual again, but nothing I try seems to work.

I use the newest Glue Tools version and the settings are standard. Changing them doesn't seem to influence exporting to a mov file anyway.

Any hint would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
Re: DPX - Glue Tools - Final Cut - Color workflow problem
on Mar 24, 2011 at 4:12:51 am

[Alexandra Wesche] "It seems to cut off all the shadows."

Looks like when you import the DPX sequence, it is being treated as log. If its 16bit DPX it must be linear. So you need to select that in the import.

Alterdately...
Do the original DPX files open fine in Color? If so, and if you don't need 16bit DPX as final output, I can suggest an alternative workflow around ProRes4444 or ProResHQ.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]