FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac's Disk Utility RAID maker...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tad newberry
Mac's Disk Utility RAID maker...
on Mar 19, 2011 at 7:47:02 pm

I'm finally getting a RAID going and thought i would start with Disk Utility's RAID creator. What do you guys think of it? I read through the Disk Utility helps and it sounded pretty good, though i rarely hear it talked about hear. My plan was to do a striped RAID for speed using (2) of my internal Seagate 1.5 TB Barracudas (7200 rpm), and then maybe down the road put this first RAID set into a redundancy mode going to an external (USB 2) 2TB Seagate Barracuda LP (5900). How does this sound? Would either of these setups help in FCP, or should i stay away completely from Disk Utility?

I mostly work with ProRes 422 files, and get decent performance in FCP, but a little more speed would probably help.

thanks for helping out a bonehead!

FCS3
2.66 GHz Quad-Core Mac Pro
6GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120
...and a few TeraBytes o' storage
(then it's on to PetaBytes, ExaBytes and MosquitoBytes!)

Return to posts index

Cameron Clendaniel
Re: Mac's Disk Utility RAID maker...
on Mar 19, 2011 at 7:58:01 pm

I've used Disk Utility to setup many internal RAID 0 arrays - never had a problem (although of course RAID 0 carries obvious risks).

Cameron Clendaniel
film editor, NYC
http://www.camclendaniel.com

Return to posts index

tad newberry
on Mar 19, 2011 at 8:29:00 pm

is the "obvious risk" that there is no redundancy no redundancy? if so, that would've been the point of the concatenated RAID with the external USB drive (or, i could move stuff around and use a FW800 drive as well)

FCS3
6GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 19, 2011 at 8:10:50 pm

[tad newberry] "My plan was to do a striped RAID for speed using (2) of my internal Seagate 1.5 TB Barracudas (7200 rpm), and then maybe down the road put this first RAID set into a redundancy mode going to an external (USB 2) 2TB Seagate Barracuda LP (5900). How does this sound?"

Striping two or more drives together at RAID 0 is always a good thing, but it's really just a good start in the right direction. You'll probably kick yourself for taking this long once you start to really appreciate the benefits and you'll soon begin to covet the real deal, at which point you'll graduate to a truly fast array. And, you'll thank your stars for Thunderbolt soon enough...

The redundancy thing via a USB connection sounds a little odd to me... It will most likely just slow down your primary RAID. I'd say, either do manual backups or go with a full-blown RAID 5 or 6 setup, which requires at least 3 drives (preferably 5 to 8) and a hardware controller.

Keep in mind, backing up media files most likely is not something most of us need to do every single day. It's most important right after you ingest new material. So, it's not like manual backups are so time-consuming and labor intensive that you need to sweat about them.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

tad newberry
on Mar 19, 2011 at 8:38:08 pm

Thanks David...yes, i'm sure i'll be kicking myself quite soon! : ) I guess i've just been hesitant to lose actual drive space for speed, but prices do keep dropping and sizes keep going up. Rather than using a USB (2, haven't gone to USB 3 yet) drive, i could use a FW800 or go get an eSATA card and go that route for an external redundant drive.

FCS3
6GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 19, 2011 at 10:52:14 pm

[tad newberry] "I guess i've just been hesitant to lose actual drive space for speed"

You don't lose drive space with RAID 0. And, when you graduate to RAID 5 or 6 the security factor is so high that the space you lose is not really a concern, because you just sleep better.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

tad newberry
on Mar 19, 2011 at 11:06:27 pm

thanks, ya, i will look forward to graduating soon. thanks again for your and cameron's pointers...

FCS3
6GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120

Return to posts index

tad newberry
on Mar 19, 2011 at 9:26:24 pm

And another RAID-newbie question: do i put ALL types of "media" files on the RAID? still images, QT's rendered out of Motion, etc? And if a Motion project was on the RAID, would Motion run a little smoother or is that completely a RAM consideration?

FCS3
6GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120

Return to posts index

Cameron Clendaniel
on Mar 19, 2011 at 9:52:32 pm

Yes, the risk of RAID 0 is that if one drive in the array goes down, you lose everything. And it does happen - and I've lost system drives too so backups are of course critical in any workflow. I use my internal RAID 0 for media only - footage, stills, outputs, etc (and only if I have backups elsewhere) - and as a scratch disk for FCP renders, etc. Anything that needs speed. Project files I would not put on a striped RAID and I doubt you would see any speed boost doing so. The speed of Motion is largely dictated by your video card.

Cameron Clendaniel
film editor, NYC
http://www.camclendaniel.com

Return to posts index

tad newberry
on Mar 19, 2011 at 10:16:07 pm

Thanks, Cameron!

FCS3
6GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Mar 20, 2011 at 12:13:26 am

I have this type of setup, 3x 1TB internal 7200rpm. All striped as raid 0. My redundancy is a time machine backup to an external lacie big quadra (6 TB) in raid 5.

I originally had apple raid card installed, then setup raid in disk utility. Found out later that raid card wasnt even being used. All research I did lead me to the result that a software raid was just fine.

-jason

Return to posts index

tad newberry
on Mar 20, 2011 at 3:16:15 am

Cool, Jason. Thanks for the info.

FCS3
6GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Mar 20, 2011 at 5:55:35 pm

In 10 years I have never had anything but Raid 0 arrays. Every computer in our shop has a two-drive internal Raid 0 and an additional drive for projects, Photoshop elements, etc. The Raid 0 is ONLY used for the actual FCP scratch disc, and everything on those drives can either be reuploaded from tapes or brought in from our Footage backup drives. IN that scenarios we don't see a need for the extra overhead and space hogging Raid 5, and I have never had a Raid 5 go down....ten years running.

Also, be sure your After Effects and FCP autosave points to a different drive than the project drive so if the project drive goes down there is another copy of your current work.

With this in mind you can have an internal system drive, a large Projects and associated elements drive, and a two-drive RAID 0 to handle the footage. Even if the Raid 0 blows up you should still easily be able to get back to work with minimum effort from the source tapes or backed up footage.

If you are still afraid of losing everything, a firewire 800 drive with a backup of all that stuff would be sufficient.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]