FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to zoom in/out a cropped video retaining its margins and zize

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcello Cangialosi
How to zoom in/out a cropped video retaining its margins and zize
on Mar 19, 2011 at 3:56:15 pm

Hello, I need some help in figuring out how to do something in FCP

I have a picture in picture video which I cropped to show a specific part of it. Imagine a video sequence showing a person in a room. I have that cropped so that it shows just the face of the person and moved to a corner.

Now what I need to do is to zoom in and out within that PiP frame to blow up some details (for example, the mouth of the person). I don't need the zoom to "stick" for the whole sequence but rather have it applied to a specific portion of the PiP.

I've tried using the Motion > Scale option, but that increase the size of the cropped PiP, forcing me to "re-crop" in order to retain the original aspect ratio.

Any idea how I can zoom in without having to re-crop?

Many thanks for the help

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: How to zoom in/out a cropped video retaining its margins and zize
on Mar 19, 2011 at 5:45:10 pm

As you've discovered, in FCP boxes have certain limitations. This is precisely what Digital Heaven's DH_Box was designed to fix. It's a plugin that's not free ($29), but perhaps you'll find it useful enough to buy. I have and I've owned it since the first version.

At the very least, try the demo and watch their tutorial to see if it does what you want.

Here's the link: http://www.digital-heaven.co.uk/dh_box

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Cameron Clendaniel
on Mar 19, 2011 at 5:59:45 pm

You could add an inverted 4-point garbage matte (in the "video filters" folder of the "effects" tab in the browser) to the layer of video above the layer you're trying to crop.

Cameron Clendaniel
film editor, NYC
http://www.camclendaniel.com

Return to posts index

tad newberry
on Mar 19, 2011 at 8:26:35 pm

i usually do what Cameron outlined, but i think i'll have to get the DH solution that David mentioned. here's what i've been doing: assuming you are cropping this shot to go over another one, move the clip to the third layer, use a matte like Cameron mentioned or what i usually do is just go to the viewer/shapes/square (or whatever), put it on layer 2 under your desired clip, change the composite mode of that clip to "Travel Matte - Luma" and you're set. i usually then select layers 2 and 3 and nest them and work with them in their own little world, but either way, what i like about this method is that you can just grab, scoot, shrink/grow your desired clip and see it's effects right there in the canvas. when they are nested, you can grab, scoot, shrink both layers together in the viewer. the one bummer here is you can't put a shadow on either of the individual layers, but you can on a nested sequence. either way, i'll probably give DH Box a try...

thanks for helping out a bonehead!

FCS3
2.66 GHz Quad-Core Mac Pro
6GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120
...and a few TeraBytes o' storage
(then it's on to PetaBytes, ExaBytes and MosquitoBytes!)

Return to posts index

Marcello Cangialosi
on Mar 19, 2011 at 8:32:53 pm

Thanks a lot guys. I'll try both the Matte suggestion and the DH plug-in (which looks awesome).

Cheers

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 19, 2011 at 9:47:31 pm

You should learnt too how to do this without any filter or plugin.
Apply the zoom as you need it, nest the clip and crop it.

Learn about nesting. Is one of the most important tools in FC.
Is the way to alter the rendering pipeline.
Motion Effects (FCs Motion tab) are always applied at the same time. If you want them to be applied in a certain order, you need to nest.
Video Filters, by default, are applied before Motion Effects. If you need to change this order, you need to nest.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]