FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't capture miniDV PAL tapes into FCP using Sony DSR-11

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kate Lindsay
Can't capture miniDV PAL tapes into FCP using Sony DSR-11
on Mar 18, 2011 at 6:50:00 pm

I'm running a 3.06 GHz Intel Core Duo 2 Mac Desktop with Final Cut Pro 7 and trying to import miniDV Panasonic DVM60 tapes that were shot in Israel in PAL using the Sony DSR-11 to an external LaCie drive. While attempting to log and capture, I have deck control but cannot get an image, only color-bars and "preview disabled". If I try to "capture now", the window pops up with a black screen and "searching for timecode" message. After a few minutes the tape automatically begins to rewind itself and a "This Operation Could Not Be Completed As There Is No Video" message appears.

I have searched all the posts on here regarding this topic that I could find and have already done the following:

- I flipped the switch in the back of the DSR-11 from NTSC to PAL and the "PAL" indicator light is lit up on the front of the deck.
- In Final Cut, I have selected "DV-PAL" from the easy set-up menu and verified that the sequence and reel settings match.
- I have reset the scratch disks, trashed the preferences, rebooted the computer, & tried different cables - all of this multiple times in every possible order.
- Everything works, no problem when importing NTSC tapes.

I thought that maybe my monitor could be the issue, but from everything I understand, it should be able to display PAL content. Even if there is quality loss, something should be showing up.

I'm only trying to import the tapes and convert them to NTSC, as a third party cameraman shots these tapes for my client. As I have not had contact with the cameraman, nor been able to see what is on the tapes, it also crossed my mind that this person could have shot LP, or HDV (and the client was misinformed in telling me that the tapes are miniDV.) I also wondered if they could have been damaged by being improperly stored while going through airport security.
Otherwise, I must be missing a step or using the wrong set up...

Please help! Any info/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! This is a time sensitive project and I don't want to mess over my client.

Thanks!
Kate

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Can't capture miniDV PAL tapes into FCP using Sony DSR-11
on Mar 18, 2011 at 7:12:03 pm

[Kate Lindsay] " I have deck control but cannot get an image, only color-bars"
This is what to fix first. To get the desk picture in FC. Otherwise, no way to Log&Capture or Capture Now.

With the desk plugged, open the "capture Presets", and "Edit" the PAL Preset you have checked.
See if the desk name pops on "Digitizer".
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Kate Lindsay
on Mar 18, 2011 at 8:12:27 pm

In the "Capture Preset Editor", the Digitizer is set to "DV Video" and the Input to "DSR-11". What should I be looking for when you say "see if the desk names pops on Digitizer"?

The only other Digitizer options are "None" and "USB Video Class Video", which yields the dialogue box of "Invalid Component Selected. You may have configured your capture device with an unsupported frame size. If this error persists, use a different frame size for video capture.""

Thanks!
Kate

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 18, 2011 at 8:49:33 pm

[Kate Lindsay] ""Invalid Component Selected. You may have configured your capture device with an unsupported frame size. If this error persists, use a different frame size for video capture."""

Could be! NTSC DV is 720x480, and PAL DV is 720x576. Does that make a difference in your settings?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kate Lindsay
on Mar 21, 2011 at 12:32:34 am

Dave-
I already have it set to 720x576...

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 18, 2011 at 9:06:34 pm

[Kate Lindsay] "In the "Capture Preset Editor", the Digitizer is set to "DV Video" and the Input to "DSR-11". What should I be looking for when you say "see if the desk names pops on Digitizer"?"
Correct.
That means that there is no problem with managing your desk.
make sure that the desk is in PAL mode before powering.
Make sure that you have a PAL DV 48Khz (Anamorphic or not) Capture Preset.
Make sure that in "Device Control" you have FW-PAL or FW-PAL Basic.
that should works, but if not, you still may try with "Uncontrollable Device" and "Capture Now".
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Kate Lindsay
on Mar 21, 2011 at 12:51:02 am

Rafael-

First of all, I really appreciate your walking me through this step by step! Unfortunately, I am still having no luck. I have the deck set to PAL before powering, Capture Preset is PAL DV 48Khz, Device Control is FireWire PAL (which is compatible with the DSR-11). I have also tried setting the device control to "non-controllable device" which yields the same exact results as "FireWire PAL". Is there any other setting that you can think of that I might be overlooking?

Also, I still have not be able to confirm with the cameraman that these tapes are in fact miniDV versus HDV. Do you have an opinion as to whether the symptoms I am having could be due to trying to play HDV on a DVCAM deck?

Thanks,
Kate

Return to posts index

Kate Lindsay
on Mar 21, 2011 at 12:54:57 am

Rafael-

Just as I finished posting, I got an email saying that the tapes are actually HDV. I guess that explains that.
Again, thanks for all of your help!

Kate

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Mar 18, 2011 at 9:13:50 pm

Easy setup Is your friend!!

Return to posts index

Gary Askham
on Mar 19, 2011 at 12:20:59 am

Do you see a picture if you plug a TV into the composite output of the deck?

------------------------
FCP and Avid Technical Support
Air Post Production
Shoreditch - London

Return to posts index

Kate Lindsay
on Mar 21, 2011 at 12:38:05 am

Gary,

My TV does not support PAL, but I've trying hooking it up to the DSR-11 anyway. I get a black screen with 2 flickering white bars off to the side and no audio.

Return to posts index

Naeem Moh
on Jun 21, 2013 at 2:44:08 am

Did this get resolved. I am having same issue.

Re: Kate, finding out it is HDV, does that mean the footage was shot on a PAL HD camera? In that case, what is the solution?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]