FORUMS: list search recent posts

p2 storage question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nelson May
p2 storage question
on Mar 18, 2011 at 2:26:11 am

This might be in the wrong thread, but I am using FCP3. I am starting to amass large amounts of data from ingesting P2 shoots. Funny, I never gave this a second thought and it might be a dumb question, but how do you guys cut down disk space?

I have my P2 backed up on a separate drive, but I copy them to my scratch disks before ingesting. After log and transfer, can I delete the P2 data from my scratch disks. I think I can, but I want to make sure I don't pull any metadata or do anything crazy.

Cheers.

MBP 2.4GHz 4MB RAM, 30"cine, MAC PRO 2.6 8 core 6GB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 7. Pro Tools 8, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: p2 storage question
on Mar 18, 2011 at 2:57:42 am

All my P2 cards are copied to multiple hard drives. When I log and transfer the data, all information is kept. After I am done with my project I delete the files from my RAID. If I need to go back to the project, I load the project file, open Log and transfer select the folder/s from my original P2 cards and hit Batch Capture.

Deleting the QT files is safe as long as you have the original P2 cards backed up.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 18, 2011 at 3:06:05 am

I use MXF4mac and access the mxf files natively. No need to log and transfer.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Mar 18, 2011 at 3:53:59 am

Waiting till MXF it's native in FCP!!! Would save on storage.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 18, 2011 at 7:05:58 am

If you delete your camera originals, we will flog you with wet socks! Do you throw away your tapes after you capture them? I hope not...otherwise here come the flogging socks!

Back them up. With tapeless you have two sets of drives...one for backup, one for editing storage. Archive to drives...backup. Keep them.

Or I'm getting my sock wet.

Even if you get some MXF native reading application, DO NOT EDIT WITH THE ORIGINALS! Back them up, put copies on your media drive.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Mar 18, 2011 at 4:20:20 pm

[Nelson May] "how do you guys cut down disk space?"

You don't. You investigate then purchase a bona fide back up system.

(Drobo with Time Capsule ain't bad -- not perfect -- but not bad either, for example.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]