FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to correct Progressive Sequence that was edited with 24p footage set to lower dominance

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Warren
How to correct Progressive Sequence that was edited with 24p footage set to lower dominance
on Mar 18, 2011 at 2:16:32 am

I've inherited several projects that were cut in FCP 5 that a client wants to update. I'm running FCP 7 - and when I opened the FCP 5 sequences, the progressive sequences were interlaced. The FCP sequences were correctly set to progressive - and pulldown was performed on the footage, but the field dominance was left at lower on all clips. I have reset all clip field dominance to none and created a new progressive sequence and confirmed that the footage correctly plays as progressive footage in the new sequence. I've reviewed several forums - and I know from experience that changes to the field dominance won't apply to sequences that have already been edited.

By complete coincidence, I opened the sequence on an older system that was running FCP 5 - and the sequence play progressively - even with the mismatched dominance. I then researched and found that this was possible prior to FCP 6. So my question - is there any way to convert these FCP 5 sequences so that FCP 7 will treat them as progressive - without the painstaking process of replacing all clips in the sequence manually? Thanks for any insight!

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
Re: How to correct Progressive Sequence that was edited with 24p footage set to lower dominance
on Mar 18, 2011 at 2:55:49 am

Hey Matt,

If you select a clip (or clips) in your timeline, and hit "command-9," you can change the field dominance setting in the item properties window.

The change probably won't take affect right away. I usually hit "control-b" twice to toggle the visibility of the clip and force FCP to "see" the new setting.

I haven't found a way to do this as a batch for a large group of clips. (If someone has, I'm all ears!) But doing them one at a time is at least quicker then replacing everything manually.

You could also try kicking out an xml and doing a "search and replace" on the relevant clip property. Might be worth a shot...

Hope this helps,

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Matt Warren
Re: How to correct Progressive Sequence that was edited with 24p footage set to lower dominance
on Mar 18, 2011 at 2:58:19 am

Thanks, Matt. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Jun 29, 2011 at 7:44:05 pm

If anyone is interested:

I had to fix this same issue today on a timeline of mine. So I duplicated the sequence and deleted all clips EXCEPT for the ones with incorrect field dominance. Then I exported an xml, opened in TextEdit and did a search and replace:

find: <fielddominance>lower</fielddominance>
replace with: <fielddominance>none</fielddominance>

Quit FCP, relaunched with new project, imported XML and everything was fixed! Final step was to copy and paste the clip items into my old project.

Hope this helps,

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 18, 2011 at 6:28:20 am

If the 24p footage has pulldown applied, then it is interlaced footage and would be 29.97 fps and should be in an interlaced sequence.

Return to posts index

Matt Warren
on Mar 18, 2011 at 1:27:33 pm

Thanks for the replies. Matt - your tip worked perfectly!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]