FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 and Canon 5D footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jabbar thomas
FCP 7 and Canon 5D footage
on Mar 17, 2011 at 8:13:19 pm

Hi all,

I recently downloaded the free Canon E1 plug-in so I could convert and ingest my 5D (H.264) footage to Prores 422 in FCP 7 and start happily editing. The plug-in seems to install correctly, and it seems to let me select the E1 Source and Prores 422 target (in the action drop down menu in the Log and Transfer window) but when i try to Add Volume (my 5D media is on my external HD)< i get an error to the tune of:

"Unsupported media Type or Invalid Directory Structure".

Does anyone know...

1 What this error really means?
2. How I fix it so i don't it anymore?

Thanks,
Jabbar Thomas

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: FCP 7 and Canon 5D footage
on Mar 17, 2011 at 8:25:29 pm

The footage has to remain in the same file structor as it is on the card. For the T2i the folders should have the following names.

DCIM, 100CANON (then your files)

Hope this makes sense and helps, best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

jabbar thomas
on Mar 17, 2011 at 8:40:56 pm

Worked like a charm, Stephen!! Thanks!!!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 17, 2011 at 8:43:53 pm

Happy to help and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

jabbar thomas
on Mar 17, 2011 at 8:59:00 pm

Muchas gracias!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 17, 2011 at 11:53:00 pm

Check Shane Ross's excellent tutorials on FCP workflow for tapeless which deals with the specifics of Canon ingest through L&T.

Return to posts index

jabbar thomas
on Mar 18, 2011 at 12:39:17 am

Thanks!

Return to posts index

jabbar thomas
on Mar 18, 2011 at 10:18:46 pm

Oops Steven,

I think I spoke too soon! Your technique works with the footage from one card, but not the other three! The issue is this is actually my students' work. They are delivering the dailies to me and shot double system on a M-10 audio recorder. In an effort to be more organized, they renamed some of the folders that the 5D generated and mixed in their audio files with their video files and data files. Some of them may have even deleted some of the data files (I'm pretty sure these cases are a lost cause).

In any case, i have all of their material and re-structuring the file system as such:

DCIM>100CANON>Video and data files

doesn't seem to work most of the time. I have tried to replace the 100CANON folder with one named 100EOS5D (I think I saw that somewhere)--but this doesn't work either.

Any other suggestions? I am just shy of asking them to down-convert to NTSC DV in Compressor or Adobe Media Encoder to edit that. I really don't want to do this. Do you have any other suggestions that may help?

thanks,
jabbar

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 18, 2011 at 10:39:15 pm

The dot THM files have information on it for FCP. If you delete them you will not be able to log and transfer the clips. If you rename the clip it will not longer match the clip name in the .THM file and will not be able to find it. When you log and Transfer the footage you can re-name the clip to what you want.

Here is a link to the tutorial that was suggested that you watch, Tapeless Workflow with Final Cut Pro 7 tutorial.

Because the files have been messed with you might want to look at using mpeg stream clip to convert the clips over to Proress.

Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

jabbar thomas
on Mar 18, 2011 at 10:54:53 pm

Stephen,

I'm somewhat familiar with the MPEG Stream Converter application. I may try that!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Mar 19, 2011 at 10:51:13 am

You can use AME and create a watch folder so you can batch process all of your 5D files into ProRes. You have to create your own preset to do that and have FCP or the ProRes codecs installed on teh system, but beyond that, it's a snap.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]