FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shoot HD or SD?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sohrab Sandhu
Shoot HD or SD?
on Mar 17, 2011 at 5:48:57 pm

Hey Gang!

I shoot and edit a 1/2 hour weekly show. Tv station takes a beta SP tape but the producer needs the content for his website as well. For this reason i shoot in HD. I have HVX-200 on which i shoot 1080i60i & on T2i i shoot 1080p30. Most of the time i am intercutting between these two cameras.

I edit this all in a pro res(1920X1080) sequence. T2i footage is all transcoded to pro res 422. For tape delivery, I downcovert realtime through Kona Lhi. For web use, i just make a H.264.

I watched this week's episode & it did not look all that crisp to me. It made me wonder if i am doing something wrong in my editing setup or should i not shoot in HD & just stick with SD.

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Shoot HD or SD?
on Mar 17, 2011 at 11:58:03 pm

I would stick to your HD workflow. You might be able to improve on the web version by enabling frame controls in Compressor and setting resize to the best setting and deinterlace so your 60i ends up progressive for the web.

There have been lots of posts about how to get the best out of Compressor so a search of the forum should help with that.

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on Mar 18, 2011 at 9:15:00 am

you didnt say if it was unsharp on one format or the other (or both).

I find that Beta SP does look less sharp than more modern delivery formats. Getting tapes in on Beta SP - they always look much softer and noisier than Digibeta. It may just be that you are used to seeing clean crisp digital video and when seeing the beta sp back, its limitations are more obvious.

Michaels right about learning your compression tools and sticking to your HD workflow.

I was told an interesting fact a while back - The better your hd image, the smaller and cleaner your compressed image will be. In essence, the more noise in an image, the more data the compressor will try to retain, thus bumping up the file size, and noise in your web output. He went on to say that was one reason many people are shooting web video on cameras like the Red.

adam

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 18, 2011 at 10:11:28 am

[Sohrab Sandhu] "I edit this all in a pro res(1920X1080) sequence."
Did you "Render in High Precision"?

[Sohrab Sandhu] "should i not shoot in HD & just stick with SD."
Shooting HD when going SD or Web has advantages (reframing, panning, etc) but downscaling is always an issue, and 1080 may end up complicating things.
I shoot 720.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Mar 18, 2011 at 10:28:48 pm

[Rafael Amador] "Did you "Render in High Precision"?"

Yes, its high precision rendering.

When i say video is not crisp, by that i mean that beta tape version being run by the tv station. The content for web looks great. I don't have any issues with the web content. If anybody is interested in taking a look, here is the link.

Rafael

For downcoversion to beta tape, i was using centerpunch, do you think letterbox or anamorphic is a better option?

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 19, 2011 at 9:32:27 pm

[Sohrab Sandhu] "When i say video is not crisp, by that i mean that beta tape version being run by the tv station."
That may be one of the less valid reference.
what you need is to make sure that your program looks well on a pro monitor and don't forget to put some proper Color Bars in case the guys of the TV station care about quality and check everything before going to air.

[Sohrab Sandhu] "For downcoversion to beta tape, i was using centerpunch, do you think letterbox or anamorphic is a better option?"
This is up to your client specs. I think big networks do not accepts LetterBoxed. LetterBoxed reduces definition.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]