FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is using NTFS a bad or really bad idea

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Edwards
Is using NTFS a bad or really bad idea
on Mar 17, 2011 at 4:23:12 pm

Hi,

I have several external drives formatted NTFS with lots of media on them. I know it is not ideal but should/will it work. I am planing storing everything on one and backing up to the other.

I have NTFS-3G installed.

Ben

--
Ben Edwards - Freelance Filmmaker
http://www.funkytwig.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: Is using NTFS a bad or really bad idea
on Mar 17, 2011 at 4:28:57 pm

It'll work but it'll slow down your system, so it's certainly a bad idea. Whether it's a REALLY bad idea is down to whether you're the kind of person who'll smash his own brains out against the wall when you get frustrated...
:-)

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Mar 17, 2011 at 5:08:12 pm

For backup/writing/reading: No problem.
For editing: No go.

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Mar 17, 2011 at 5:25:21 pm

Ben, I've been using the freebie version of 3G-NTFS for sometime now. It works but is very slow. I've wondered whether buying the full version would speed up file tranfers. What's your opinion?

Thanks Alan

FlashXDR,XDcamHD,XDcamEX,D9 etc
FCS,AE,Combustion,LiquidSilver,Vegas,Edius,
G5,MBP,Vista64,XP

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 18, 2011 at 12:09:41 am

There is nothing inherently slow in NTFS. Both Apple and Microsoft are just bastards for making their OS's so clumsy with the others formating. Having used MacDrive on Windows and also having Ubuntu Linux on the office machine, I can read and write to all sorts of formats and NTFS is perfectly acceptable for video editing. There is more difference in connection type than formatting.

If an NTFS drive is running slow on the Mac, then there must be a level of inefficiency in either Mac OS or the 3G-NTFS software.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 18, 2011 at 1:29:06 am

[Michael Gissing] "If an NTFS drive is running slow on the Mac, then there must be a level of inefficiency in either Mac OS or the 3G-NTFS software."

3G-NTFS is slower than its commercial cousin, Tuxera.

Tuxera does have a 15-day demo version. Ben, you might want to try it and see how it performs. It would certainly be interesting to see the difference in speeds as reported by the AJA or BMD disk speed tools under 3G-NTFS and Tuxera.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Mar 18, 2011 at 9:47:31 am

Yes that's exactly what I was asking Walter. Being a PC man I know there's nothing wrong with NTFS

Alan

FlashXDR,XDcamHD,XDcamEX,D9 etc
FCS,AE,Combustion,LiquidSilver,Vegas,Edius,
G5,MBP,Vista64,XP

Return to posts index

Ben Scott
on Mar 18, 2011 at 1:45:07 pm

use XFAT

works on osx snow leopard and windows 7

supports over 4gb file limit of fat32 and we found copy speeds similar to hfs+

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Mar 18, 2011 at 4:13:45 pm

Do you mean xFat or exFat. Gogeling for xFat does not return mutch (apart from lots of exFat links).

--

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 18, 2011 at 4:26:50 pm

If you're going to reformat anyway, why not reformat as HFS+ (so that you can expect everything in FCP to work) and install MacDrive from MediaFour on your PCs?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Stephan Schreiber
on May 18, 2011 at 1:48:09 pm

use XFAT

works on osx snow leopard and windows 7

supports over 4gb file limit of fat32 and we found copy speeds similar to hfs+
Hey guys, I do tech support for the video production department at a college. I'm also trying to find a viable solution to run Final Cut on NTFS disks (no perfect solution yet btw).

But I really want to warn you about exFAT. Right now, it's just a really bad idea. There are a few problems with exFAT, but here's the basics.

1. Windows 7 and Snow Leopard treat exFAT pretty differently. I don't know if it's Apple or Microsoft who isn't following specs, but the result is that when switching between mac and windows with an exFAT drive, very very often I end up with corrupt files or a corrupt filesystem.

2. exFAT is relatively new and there aren't good tools to fix it. When a mac HFS+ drive starts acting weird, won't mount, etc, you use Disk Warrior and it does magic. When a NTFS drive is acting weird you use SpinRite to fix it. When an exFAT drive stops working right, there's really not much you can do about it.

In the future, who knows; I hear 10.7 lion will add better NTFS support and possibly better exFAT, but for the moment I'd avoid it.

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Mar 18, 2011 at 10:31:43 am

"For backup/writing/reading: No problem.
For editing: No go."

Can you please expand on this. Is is a speed issue or is there something else.

One thing I have come across is if you let the Mac go to sleep when it wakes up it has problems with NTFS volumes but that can easily be sorted by not allowing Mac to sleep.

Ben

--

Return to posts index

Stephan Schreiber
on May 18, 2011 at 2:44:47 pm

Googling around has found this forum for me.

Basically people are saying that Final Cut editing needs to take place on a Mac (HFS+) drive. It seems to have something to do with how FC uses permissions for scratch disk files.

I also found another forum (sorry I've lost the link) where someone said he had no problem saving files to a windows drive using NTFS-3G, but FCP still wouldn't work correctly. So that would also seem to support the story.

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on May 18, 2011 at 4:00:03 pm

I took the plunge and have been using the Pagagon NTFS for over a month. I have not experienced any problems with permissions on scratch disks. Ime getting 45/50 ms/S Off them.

Not usre about people saying you need to use NFS+, there was one person on the thread and they did not say if they were using the crappy free NTFS drivers or the great Paragon ones.

Ben

--

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]