FORUMS: list search recent posts

GoPro to ProRes to FCP 6 = 10x storage space???

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yohanan Braunschvig
GoPro to ProRes to FCP 6 = 10x storage space???
on Mar 17, 2011 at 8:32:48 am

Hello!

since i started using HDSLR and GoPro files with FCP I have had frames dropping during playback (this is ONE stream of video, no FX). See signature for HW details. i have tried editing from my System HD, and from a FW 800 drive, both with skippy results.

My questions are as follows:

1. is there a setting that will enable me to view these files as-is, without transcoding?
2. I have tried a test on a few resolutions of GoPro files, using mpeg streamclip to transcode to prores 422. the quality seems unchanged, but the file sizes are prohibitive! it is roughly 10x the size of the original! with 40 GB in the original project, getting 400 GB of HDD space jammed with duplicate material is unacceptable. what else can i do?

thanks in advance
Yohanan

Sound Editor / Video editor
Macbook Pro 15.4" | OSX 10.6.5
2.5 GHz Core2Duo | 4 GB 667MHz RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8600MGT 512MB VRAM
FCP Studio 2 (FCP 6)
Pro Tools 9 (Digi 003 Factory Console)

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: GoPro to ProRes to FCP 6 = 10x storage space???
on Mar 17, 2011 at 3:33:37 pm

[Yohanan Braunschvig] "1. is there a setting that will enable me to view these files as-is, without transcoding?
"

Not at this time. FCP isn't set up to deal with the distribution codec (extremely lossy) that is used in a GoPro. They actively suggest using ProRes.

[Yohanan Braunschvig] "2. I have tried a test on a few resolutions of GoPro files, using mpeg streamclip to transcode to prores 422. the quality seems unchanged, but the file sizes are prohibitive! it is roughly 10x the size of the original! with 40 GB in the original project, getting 400 GB of HDD space jammed with duplicate material is unacceptable. what else can i do?
"

That's about right. You could go to ProResLT and save about 30% of that...

Look, I know what you want: You want to have tiny file sizes and editing that works well.
Tiny file sizes = super compressed codec (lots of decoding= bad performance; lots of caching since not every frame has all the information)
Works well = large files (uncompress SD eats 1 gig a minute, uncompressed HD eats 6 gigs per minute.)

The general consensus: If you can afford FCP @ $1k, then a $100 hard drive (which in itself is a serious compromise) isn't a significant expense.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Mar 17, 2011 at 5:05:34 pm

i-frame baby!

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Mar 17, 2011 at 3:36:21 pm

As you have discovered, the current version of FCP cannot smoothly edit h.264 in its native format. There are no ways around this other than transcoding to ProRes.

Your only options are:

1. Buy more storage

2. Switch to Premiere Pro, which handles h.264 natively

3. Wait to see what the next version of FCP brings...

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 17, 2011 at 3:36:44 pm

The Canon HDSLR's shoot h.264. h.264 is a GOP format structure. ProRes is an individual frame format. This lessens the load on the system, as GOP formats are processor intensive. It also makes renders and exports occur faster. That is why ProRes files are bigger. Hard Drive are super cheap.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]