FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP project - two different sets of media...solution?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Lin
FCP project - two different sets of media...solution?
on Mar 15, 2011 at 1:59:39 am

Hi all. So here's our situation. We shot a short film in Kyoto last year and I've been working with an editor in Tokyo over the past few months. Unfortunately, the deadline is coming up and they are surprisingly unforgiving about the situation in Japan. So of course with everything happening over in Japan, I want to take the project off the editor's plate as he deals with life the aftermath of the quakes.

Before I left back to the States, we shot on Sony HDV and ingested the footage as Apple Pro Res HQ which I took back with me to the US. We weren't able to simply clone the footage and give to the editor our post production was ultimately arranged after everyone left. The editor in Japan was supposed to use our same project file and capture the footage the same way since he had the tapes but rather than recapture with the same project file that we did, through a lot of miscommunication, he re-captured it himself and did so in HDV as opposed to Apple Pro Res. He was going to recapture at Apple Pro Res HQ when we had finished but mother nature had other ideas right now. So this is what we have: one set of media in the US that is Apple Pro Res HQ and one set of media that HDV in Tokyo that he has edited with and a project file of the film that references that media.

Technically, the TC on the tapes within the projects should match, so my question is this:
Can you fine folks think of a way that I can bring his edit into my FCP system but have the new edit reference my media which has completely different logging (ins and outs of each capture clip), different codec and different tape names? It's not quite an online situation since I already have existing media and am not recapturing (plus the tapes are in Tokyo).

I'm wondering if I can do it in an automated way with an EDL to link two existing but different sets of media but have never done it before myself. If anyone has experience doing this, I would love to hear how you did it.

Can I do it with just having him send me the XML and editing the XML somehow? Is that even possible?
Worst case scenario is that he can send me an EDL and I can re-edit the piece back manually but want to avoid that if possible. Any help you can provide to solve this puzzle would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks CC community!

Best,
Eric Lin
NYC

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: FCP project - two different sets of media...solution?
on Mar 15, 2011 at 2:25:22 am

I take it you only have the editors project file and not the HDV media, although that is not actually specifically stated. HDV is not big and you said it was a short film. So easiest path would be to get a small drive with the HDV media sent over from Japan rather than the master tapes.

If that isn't feasible,there might be a possibility of using this software which does a smarter reconnect than FCP does -

http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/41/fcpreconnect/3

Return to posts index

Eric Lin
on Mar 15, 2011 at 2:30:12 am

Hi Michael. Thanks for the quick reply. You are correct, I have the editor's file but not the HDV media. The problem is that with Tokyo in the state it is with all the aftershocks happening, I'm not sure he will be able to mail anything in the near future to the states so I'm trying to find a virtual solution given that we have the two sets of media.

VideoToolShed might just work well. Have you used it before in a similar situation with success? Thanks for sharing!

Best,
Eric Lin
NYC

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Mar 15, 2011 at 3:06:10 am

fcpreconnect will only work if the TC and reel are consistent. You must either modify the seq to match your reel names or the ProRes files reel names to match the seq. If you have duplicate reel names for media across the same TC... then you may have to modify both. Modifying the seq via an exported EDL would b easiest.

Good Luck
John Heagy

Return to posts index

Eric Lin
on Mar 15, 2011 at 3:23:20 am

Thanks John. Much appreciated. I just watched the tutorial on VideoToolShed's website and it looks totally doable. I'll download the demo and give it a whirl. Thanks both of you!

Best,
Eric Lin

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 15, 2011 at 3:57:36 am

VideoToolShed also has software to edit XMLs which might be an alternative to John's EDL editing idea.

Personally I haven't had to use this software (yet) but it has been reported by others as working well and Bouke is often on these forums to offer advice or even mod software for a specific application.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]