FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Projection Format.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Murray
Best Projection Format.
on Mar 13, 2011 at 5:12:25 pm

9 months in the making and our 20min film is ready for it's premier. Shot on a Canon D5, and mastered to ProResHQ422, it looks absolutely stunning.(if I say so myself) But which format to show it in at the launch?
The master QT looks great, but weighs in at a hefty 28Gb. I did some H.264 tests, and it holds up well, but I do see some artefacts. Any suggestions...?

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Best Projection Format.
on Mar 13, 2011 at 5:21:51 pm

As always, check with the place of showing or submition.
What is your delivery requirements?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Best Projection Format.
on Mar 13, 2011 at 6:33:31 pm

[Joe Murray] "mastered to ProResHQ422"

Nope, there's no such thing... It's either ProRes HQ or ProRes 422, but not ProResHQ422.

In any case, there's an entire world of possibilities, but you haven't mentioned how it's being projected or what the capabilities are of the projection system.

If you simply want a less hefty QT file, then h.264 would in fact be the best answer, and you'll simply have to tell us what bitrate you already tried.

It is possible to encode h.264 at a very high bitrate with few, if any, noticeable artifacts. Of course, matching the quality of a ProRes HQ master with a highly-compressed file isn't possible. The studios use BluRays pretty effectively, but you can exceed that BR quality with a "hi-test" h.264 file.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]