FORUMS: list search recent posts

videos automatically letterbox

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Harper
videos automatically letterbox
on Mar 12, 2011 at 8:08:42 pm

Hey, so I export from eyetv after recording from my TV and everything looks fine in quicktime. Then after I import the video into final cut everything looks fine in the editor. But after I move the video into the timeline the video automatically letterbox's. This is a problem because I would like the video to fit full screen on a youtube video. Any help in this situation would be useful because I have literally tried everything I can think of and I still can't change it back to how it's supposed to be.

Alex

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: videos automatically letterbox
on Mar 13, 2011 at 12:14:36 am

You recorded a commercial program off your TV and you're trying to edit this in FCP? Is this correct?

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Alex Harper
on Mar 13, 2011 at 1:01:28 am

No actually it was gameplay off of an xbox 360

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Mar 13, 2011 at 3:28:06 am

Still not legal.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Alex Harper
on Mar 13, 2011 at 4:25:43 am

Actually it is. There are literally thousands of people out there doing the same thing. Some are even sponsored by the game developers to put out content with there game. What I intend to do with it is to take a game that I played and commentate over it. It's perfectly legal seeing as I am not looking to gain a profit, nor am I claiming that it is my property.

So how do I unletterbox the video?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 13, 2011 at 1:53:15 pm

So how does eyetv record the signal? Is it true HD, is it letterboxed SD?

Sounds like you're getting a letterbox or anamorphic signal from the recording that FCP will compensate for but when you put that file out for viewing, the anamorphic comes back into play so it gets letterboxed.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Alex Harper
on Mar 13, 2011 at 6:19:34 pm

it records exactly what you see on the tv, basically. So mine records in 1920x1080p and I export it as 720p footage to reduce the file size since nothing larger is required for youtube. When quicktime opens up with the exported file it isn't letterboxed and when I import it into the final cut editor it isn't letterboxed then either.

The only time that it actually messes up is when I put it into the timeline. I've checked every setting I can think of in every step of the process and still nothing reflects anything that would letterbox the video. I even found an option that let me convert the file to anamorphic but that just cut off more of the video.

Thanks for the continued help

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 13, 2011 at 7:17:08 pm

[Alex Harper] "It's perfectly legal seeing as I am not looking to gain a profit, nor am I claiming that it is my property."

This particular issue aside- the above generally no bearing on whether appropriating something for your own use or upload is legal or not.

Return to posts index

Alex Harper
on Mar 13, 2011 at 10:04:16 pm

I'm not sure what you mean, however, I still assure you that whatever I am doing with it is perfectly legal and encouraged.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]