FORUMS: list search recent posts

mysterious gaps appearing in timeline - among other things

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gloria Ballard
mysterious gaps appearing in timeline - among other things
on Mar 12, 2011 at 12:20:16 am

I'm having a series of very frustrating problems with one of the projects I'm currently working on.

I've edited the sequence together the way I want it, exported it, and closed the software. Everything is fine and exactly the way I want it when I exit FCP.

When I reopen the software, I suddenly have gaps between my clips and gaps in the soundtrack. Also, some of the audio tracks are green halfway across, and blue the other half. When the playhead crosses from the green line to the blue, the audio I'm hearing jumps back to the beginning of the clip, as though I had cut and paste a copy there, although the playhead keeps moving forward.

I've had several other similarly bizarre problems with this sequence, but these are the problems I'm dealing with at the moment. I hope this makes sense. They're really strange issues that I've never dealt with before, and I'm having a hard time describing them.

Help!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: mysterious gaps appearing in timeline - among other things
on Mar 12, 2011 at 12:42:27 am

It sure sounds as if you're editing h.264 or .MP4 video. Right?

If so, you're not going to be happy when I tell you that these are not editing codecs in FCP, and I sure hope your project isn't a terribly long or complicated one.

This is discussed here and elsewhere hundreds of times a week and it's been common knowledge for many, many months.

You have to transcode these file types to a codec such as ProRes before editing. Search the forum, you'll see tons of posts on the subject.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Mar 12, 2011 at 1:55:56 am

It also sounds like you might have changed the frame rate mid stream or the clips changed their frame rate. Could that be it?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Gloria Ballard
on Mar 12, 2011 at 2:33:23 am

It could be. Any ideas on how could I have done that without knowing it?

Return to posts index

Gloria Ballard
on Mar 12, 2011 at 2:33:26 am

I took the H.264 footage into Compressor and converted to Apple ProRes before editing, although it's entirely possible I did it wrong. I'm mostly self-taught and new to Compressor and haven't been shooting with the Canon 7D for very long.

Incidentally, I have another project I'm working on simultaneously that I converted first and I haven't had a single problem with it.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 12, 2011 at 3:14:25 am

[Gloria Ballard] "I took the H.264 footage into Compressor and converted to Apple ProRes before editing, although it's entirely possible I did it wrong."

That was a good start... Sorry I thought otherwise Gloria. Unlike many, you were paying attention.

Meanwhile, it all sounds very whacky, and when it does that typically means you have to do the following:

1) trash preferences (get preference manager for free at http://www.digital rebellion.com)

2) fix permissions on your system drive using Disk Utility

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Philip Leech
on Apr 20, 2011 at 7:08:32 pm

Hi,

Did you solve the problem...?

Not sure this is it, but something which often catches me out is the fact that Final Cut Pro will very kindly offer to change your sequence settings to match a clip you are dropping on the time line. So for example, if my FCP Easy Setup settings are set to DV NTSC, and then I open a project but drop a DV PAL clip on to the timeline, Final Cut will ask me if I want to change my sequence settings to match the DV PAL clip. The part where I get caught out is when I open up a new sequence and do something like copy and paste my existing sequence on to it. Te new sequence settings will not match the clips and it will not play correctly. Also, you get gaps between many of the clips and other such problems....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]