FORUMS: list search recent posts

Let's Talk About PAL baby --> Going to NTSC

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Baker
Let's Talk About PAL baby --> Going to NTSC
on Mar 11, 2011 at 12:54:43 am

Hey everyone,

The documentary I'm working on requires a mix of NTSC video (5D Mark II h264 converted to PreRes) and PAL video (don't know format yet -- waiting for Nepalese videographers to get back to me.)

So what is the process of converting the PAL footage I'll be receiving (I'll be getting it as some type of digital file, NOT tape) into a workable NTSC format, that will then be transcoded to ProRes? With keeping best quality, of course.

In my research, I've read about a bunch of different ways to do this: using MPEG Streamclip + JES Deinterlacer, Atlantis, and etc... but what would you recommend?

Anyone here who's worked in a similar situation?

Appreciate your help -- this is uncharted territory for me.

BtB

Return to posts index

Cameron Clendaniel
Re: Let's Talk About PAL baby --> Going to NTSC
on Mar 11, 2011 at 2:33:25 pm

If you have the budget, having the conversion done through hardware on a Teranex at a post facility delivers by far the cleanest results in my experience. But for offline editing you could perhaps get by with software (the Nattress plugins can deliver decent results if used properly - a search in the forum will likely yield much info on this path) and then save the Teranex for an eventual online.

Cameron Clendaniel
film editor, NYC
http://www.camclendaniel.com

Return to posts index

Tim Wilsbach
Re: Let's Talk About PAL baby --> Going to NTSC
on Mar 11, 2011 at 7:21:11 pm

Nattress Standards Conversion is an inexpensive option, that will cost you a nice chunk of render time. The quality is great, the process isn't hard but there are several, very particular steps.

Compressor is also an option. The trick in Compressor is making sure that your frame controls are set to "best".

-Tim Wilsbach
Will cut your baby. He edits & directs, but what he really wants to do is affect.
wilsbach.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]