FORUMS: list search recent posts

Issues with AVI files, I Movie and Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee Olivas
Issues with AVI files, I Movie and Final Cut Pro
on Mar 10, 2011 at 4:46:27 am

Hi guys. I use Final Cut Pro in a high school lab. We have used tape, mini dv but recently converted to using a JVC camera with memory card. My files will not read with a MAC so my I.T. person suggested I use I Movie to log and capture the media since I Movie is compatible with my JVC Everio. We have local log ins and everything was loaded unto each computer with a master image of all the applications.

Problem has been when I log and capture into I Move then when I share out the file as a movie onto my desktop it then has been imported into Final Cut Pro and the audio isn't accompanying the footage. So I exported the file from I Movie as a smaller quick time file. M4V file and it now is playable with audio. I just went with the next smaller file instead of the larger movie files.

Help

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Issues with AVI files, I Movie and Final Cut Pro
on Mar 10, 2011 at 5:00:22 am

If you have Compressor (which comes with the Final Cut Suite), you should be able to convert AVCHD AVI files into quicktime with ProRes422 codec for editing. mp4 is not an edit codec and iMovie is not a serious tool for file conversions. MPEGStreamclip is another free software option.

It seems a shame to have chosen a domestic camera that is designed for a Windows environment when the editing software is Mac based.

Return to posts index

keith mcgregor
Re: Issues with AVI files, I Movie and Final Cut Pro
on Mar 10, 2011 at 9:16:11 pm

One of my clients had an Everio and it came with a cd that had the codec needed by quicktime. All I did was drop it in the ~Library/Quicktime folder and away quick time went! Opened the folder and it saw the .tod and was able to open and resave using only quicktime. Hope that helps!
-Beef

Reality? What did you make it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]