FORUMS: list search recent posts

replace clip from bin. OR: reconnect media from within project/bin!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Jones
replace clip from bin. OR: reconnect media from within project/bin!
on Mar 9, 2011 at 7:00:58 pm

Hi,

I have searched the forum thoroughly and still can't figure this out.
I am new to FCP and am used to Adobe Ppro and AE.

I have a fully edited timeline A with clips that have in/out points.
I want to replace all the clips with the same file, only with effects applied, on Timeline B. On timeline B, there are no in/out points, all clips are the same length as the source material.

In Ppro or AE, I would be able to select a clip on timeline A, right click and select 'replace with media'--'FROM BIN'

This is useful as the same in/out points are maintained.

I have tried the following without success in FCP:

* Replace media with F11. This refuses to work, it always indicates not enough media no matter which frame on the timeline or viewer i choose.

*Copy and paste attributes selecting content only (or any other combination of options). This replaces the clip nicely BUT I lose the in/out points of the media.

Basically, I want to do a RECONNECT media without having to render out the clips on timeline B. It does work with reconnect media but it would be about 1TB of output, something I want to try and prevent.

If there is some other way to maintain the in/out points on timeline A, or perhaps copy and paste in/out points only, I hope someone could please share how to do it.

Thank you!
Martin

Return to posts index

keith mcgregor
Re: replace clip from bin. OR: reconnect media from within project/bin!
on Mar 9, 2011 at 11:24:12 pm

My question is: how did you get those clips out of fcp? Did you remember to add handles? Is it one video file with multiple in out points? Or multiple videos? I have never had a problem unless they contain the exact same name or didn't have handles. Can you dupe your seq, give it a different name and try replacing track 1? For round-tripping with AE I usually render out a reference file (not self-contained) and bring that in to AE and do efx and render that as animation quality and replace in fc. Also, there is a free (still?) little app called fcp to ae. I have used that to great success a few times.
-Beef

Reality? What did you make it?

Return to posts index

Martin Jones
Re: replace clip from bin. OR: reconnect media from within project/bin!
on Mar 10, 2011 at 2:44:26 pm

Thanks,

I think going to AE is a good solution for now.
Also making another project instead of another sequence seemed to do half the trick but not completely.
Thanks for the feedback!

Martin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]