FORUMS: list search recent posts

Syncing audio after being well into the Edit

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
james alexandrou
Syncing audio after being well into the Edit
on Mar 9, 2011 at 5:59:38 pm

Hi - Help please!

Am a couple of weeks into an edit and have (finally) received the audio from my sound man.

I need a bit of a step by step if possible please.

So far I have been editing what I have using the crappy in camera mic audio. Now I am ready to sync up my real audio what do I do next?

Im quite FCP savvy so know how to get rid of the audio I have already and bring in the new audio and then match it up but because I am a couple of weeks in Im wondering If there is a way to just merge the new audio with the original video and then let FCP just take care of putting the vide and new audio where it should be?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Syncing audio after being well into the Edit
on Mar 9, 2011 at 6:56:05 pm

[james alexandrou] "Am a couple of weeks into an edit and have (finally) received the audio from my sound man."

Boooo! Hissss!! Shame on them. Never hire them again. Audio needs to be handed over PROMPTLY...otherwise you either fall behind or get into the mess you are in. That is completely irresponsible and unprofessional, on every level.

[james alexandrou] "Now I am ready to sync up my real audio what do I do next?"

Either sync up the audio to the original clips, then manually and tediously replace each and every clip with the new audio, or try this software:

http://assistedediting.intelligentassistance.com/Sync-N-Link/

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

james alexandrou
on Mar 9, 2011 at 8:23:47 pm

Thanks shane.

Yeah I have been pulling my hair out and couldnt afford to wait so went ahead and now am about 60%done in the edit. AAGGHH

I thought it may be a case of syncing the audio and recconecting the media and it would all fall in place, doent look that way though huh?

that software looks phenomanal but cant afford that right now!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 9, 2011 at 9:27:50 pm

[james alexandrou] "I thought it may be a case of syncing the audio and recconecting the media and it would all fall in place, doent look that way though huh?"

Nope...won't work. FCP will see that there are more audio tracks than the first clips, and will refuse to reconnect. Even if it did, it might not source the additional tracks. FCP doesn't handle stuff like this well.

[james alexandrou] "that software looks phenomanal but cant afford that right now!"

Then you'll be spending your time doing all of this manually. Is your time worth that little? Won't you save money if you get the product that does what you need, vs spending all that time doing it manually? That's how you have to look at it. If you have a set in stone rate...flat fee...well then...stuck.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Mar 9, 2011 at 9:46:42 pm

What about...

Creating individual FCP sequences for each clip. Each sequence will have to have the same timecode details especially media start and end times as the original clip.

Import the original clip, delete the audio, import the new audio into the same audio format as the original recording, sync it, export the new FCP sequence and name it identically as the original clip, but save it to a new folder.

Then try relinking media to the new FCP sequences.

You have to sync 'em up anyway, so that painstaking detail won't go away. So the only new painstaking detail here is getting the start and end time of the new FCP sequences the same as the start time on the original media items.

Having said all that you'll probably have to recut anyway.

Having said that too, just spend the $500 because it will fix the problem starting now and for forever.

Return to posts index

Darryl Tee
on Nov 3, 2011 at 9:52:43 pm

I had a failed audio card and a client who 'needed' the edit before i could have the card recovered - so the easy solution was:

1. Find the clips i needed to sync, quit FCP.
2. Sync them with the external audio files using DUALEYES (not pluraleyes but Dualeyes) - and 'replace audio' on the original clips - so the external audio recorder audio is now part of the individual video files (Dualeyes and Pluraleyes have saved me about 100 hours of manual tedious work so far and I applaud these guys for coming up with this simple and elegant program)
3. a. Copy-off the original video clips somewhere else in case i made a mess
3. b. Rename the re-sync'd audio clips using 'NameChanger' as a bulk process - back to the original file names (this app is Gold for many reasons)
3. Re-open the project in FCP - it will re-connect to the video files that have the new, better audio

This is an inelegant way to recover from a sub-optimum workflow. A bit of a clunky workaround- but it saved me about 40 hours work.

An ingenious workaround to a bad workflow.

D.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]