FORUMS: list search recent posts

Out of memory error : how to get sequence back?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabriel Antonius
Out of memory error : how to get sequence back?
on Mar 8, 2011 at 7:07:01 pm

Hi,
I've been building my project, making extensive use of nesting, and once it reached a critical size, I started having this error message about memory.

The message occurs when trying to open my top sequence in the timeline, not at the moment of rendering.

It seems the general procedure to work around this is to split your project as much as possible. Can do!

My question is: How do I get to open again my top sequence (containing all scenes + transitions + soundtrack) ?

I've tried deleting rendered files, copying the top sequence in an other project, deleting the sequences nested within each scene that compose the top sequence...none of these work.

Thank you in advance!

Return to posts index

keith mcgregor
Re: Out of memory error : how to get sequence back?
on Mar 8, 2011 at 8:38:32 pm

Have you trashed your prefs files? Your top sequence has all that stuff? Not in separate sequences? Try getting rid of audio render files as well as thumbnail and waveform cache files (unless you got rid of the actual audio file and are working with render only, but you wouldn't do that:) You could also try to open an older version from the autosave vault, mebbie you have auto-save enabled? I never do and it has bitten me in the past.
-Beef

Reality? What did you make it?

Return to posts index

Gabriel Antonius
on Mar 9, 2011 at 11:06:10 am

I had lots of backups, but even when I load an old version (either time machine or autosave vault), restore the complete Final Cut Documents directory, trash prefs, reboot, etc...nothing change. Need I say, I have plenty of RAM and disk space available.

Out of panic, I rearranged the whole project last night, making one project file for each scene.
At some point, having a top sequence to set the transitions and the volumes seems to be the only way to wrap up everything. (Maybe someone could tip me on how to avoid this structure.)

But this morning, when I tried to open my new top sequence, same problem!

Here is some more information:
- The exact error message is rather as follow:
A first one telling me "Not found." and an other one saying "Error: Out of memory."
(I've been seeing the first one before, but couldn't figure out how it affected my project, since no media was disconnected and all would play)
- Each scene can be opened individually, only the top sequence won't load.
- These scenes were constructed by copying sequences from my old version of the project (again, they play smoothly in this old version.)

Is there some kind of "safe mode" that would let me open my top sequence without loading the scenes, and then reconnect them?

Thanks

Return to posts index

keith mcgregor
on Mar 9, 2011 at 4:32:40 pm

Very frustrating. Since the project opens, try right-click on sequence in proj browser, choose export xml. Open in new proj with others closed, re-link and try there. Even when you delete render files, open proj and NOT rebuild them does the problem persist? Otherwise I could it be a filter related issue? What kinds of freebies and demos do you have? Have you repaired permissions on your mac? I know it sounds stupid, but some third party software jumbles the system and repairing permissions usually fixes things but could be unrelated. What are your specs? And I hate to think it, but if you have premiere, try exporting an xml for your whole proj and open it in premiere or avid if available (current versions only, as those have been tested by the Avatar team). Also if you open the proj, (a copy) select your footage and make offline, can you open the seq? There has to be something here clogging up your masterpiece. There have been times fc gets wacky with too many nested seq; audio edits not showing up in master seq, transitions not showing, old render files hanging around, entire scene not showing, so the least amount of nesting the better as it's still 32 bit. And no, there is no safe mode, never heard of such a thing with editing software, just the os.
-Beef

Reality? What did you make it?

Return to posts index

Gabriel Antonius
on Mar 10, 2011 at 11:14:23 am

I'm using final cut express, so exporting my project to xml is not an option. Aslo, repairing permissions and not rebuilding render files didn't give any results. For technical reasons, making media offline would be a lenghty process and at this point, I'm only trying to understand what caused the problem and how to prevent it.

[keith mcgregor] "Otherwise could it be a filter related issue?"

This might very well be. I'm not using any third party filter, but some ( very short) portion of my project is made up of "heavy layered" sequences, both audio and video. I suppose a work around would be to output the pathological sequence and import it as a clip.

Up to now, I failed to reproduce the bug in a controlled way, but I shall post back when I do.

Many thanks for your concern!

Return to posts index

Jason Watt
on Mar 11, 2011 at 2:02:36 am

I am having the same issues and I tried you suggestion about exporting the sequence XML and bringing it into a new project with the other project closed and received the same errors - however I also received and XML Error Log as well and can post that information if you think it may help to figure this out.

Jason Watt
Producer
Parelli Natural Horsemanship
http://www.parelli.com
Parelli: A Natural Approach to Horse Training

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]