FORUMS: list search recent posts

Speed up Compressor?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leonard Frankford
Speed up Compressor?
on Mar 8, 2011 at 7:01:59 pm

Is there any way to speed up Compressor? I am trying to convert several 30-45 minute files output as Quicktime movies straight out of Final Cut into mpg2 files. Compressor just sits there for more than an hour before it starts to do anything. I ran a batch overnight and it only did three files out of seven, one of which was only 10 minutes long. I have closed FCP and all other programs. I have a G5. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Leonard F.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Speed up Compressor?
on Mar 8, 2011 at 7:20:10 pm

Export a self contained QT of each seq. first (that's very fast), then use those in Compressor. The way you're doing it now unnecessarily re-renders everything before encoding in Compressor, taking significantly more time.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Leonard Frankford
on Mar 8, 2011 at 7:30:51 pm

So self-contained is the way to go. I was making reference clips. I'm remaking them now and I'll see how it goes. Thanks.

Leonard

Leonard F.

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Mar 8, 2011 at 7:37:44 pm

Buy Any Mac Mini Intel will help :P
G5 Speeds are ancient indeed.

Return to posts index

keith mcgregor
on Mar 8, 2011 at 8:03:04 pm

Have you set up compressor to it's best? Are you running a dual core power mac G5? I had a dual 2.3? and it utilized almost all of my processing power each time. If you can, get an octo processor power mac and set it as your cluster. See this: file:///Users/instructor/Documents/Info/KMC%20Infor/Using%20Compressor%20with%20multiple%20cores%20-%20Digital%20Rebellion%20Blog.webarchive
and always remember, it's not always the computer's fault, it still depends on the format (from and too), the drives (firewire, usb, internal) and of course size and length. I have had a gigantic leap in performance adjusting the settings in Qmaster or adding another machine to the cluster. Sometimes it's just a finesse thing.

Reality? What did you make it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]