FORUMS: list search recent posts

* Hollywood International DVD Standard - The Universal DVD - 16:9 & 4:3 *

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marinus Denton
* Hollywood International DVD Standard - The Universal DVD - 16:9 & 4:3 *
on Mar 8, 2011 at 12:56:55 am

Hi

I'm so interested and would like to know how to pull of the Hollywood's International Standard – 16:9 and 4:3 Universal DVD?

Basically I've got this Sony Pictures Animation “Surf's Up” when I insert this into a DVD system that has a 16:9 screen it shows wide screen (16:9 – 1920x1080) and if I insert it into a system that has 4:3 system (720x576) then it shows the whole frame that I saw on the 16:9 screen but just in letterbox format with black bars on the top and bottom.

Lot of commons errors that people do by making 16:9 videos fit 4:3 screens is the following:

A) They export it 16:9 and make the DVD 4:3. The result of this is when you play it through a 4:3 system it cuts a bit of the frames of at the left and right side of the screen which you originally saw in the wide screen.

B) They put it the 16:9 sequence in a 4:3 sequence then the video look squished and squashed, people in the frame look thinner or fatter.

Isn't the universal option that works with 4:3 and 16:9 systems got something to do with DVD Studio Pro? Isn't there like a universal button (a button which allows you to make the DVD 16:9 and 4:3), which is so smart that whatever system you put the DVD into will read if it is 16:9 or 4:3 and then play it according to the system aspect ratio's size? Or if you import the exported 16:9 video from compressor into DVD Studio Pro, how do you make the the DVD 4:3 with letterbox within DVD Studio Pro? Isn't it the best way to make a 16:9 export 4:3 letterbox in DVD Studio Pro though?

Wow if someone can figured this out then your quite advanced in the editing industry.

I would like to hear the master editor's knowledge and personal experience on this important topic.

Thanks

Marinus

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
Re: * Hollywood International DVD Standard - The Universal DVD - 16:9 & 4:3 *
on Mar 8, 2011 at 1:18:09 am

It's not rocket science.

You just encode for dvd with the 16:9 option enabled in compressor.

DVDStudiopro recognizes that flag and formats it properly.

The DVD player plays it on a 16:9 widescreen tv filled, and letterboxes it on a 4:3 screen.

It's really that simple.

Where people complicate things is in editing and not maintaining anamorphic aspect ratio's. This can be a problem when mixing HD & SD content in the same sequence.
Or they forget to encode it for DVD with the 16:9 option enabled. I see that a lot.

Return to posts index

Larry Asbell
on Mar 8, 2011 at 1:37:58 am

Also for it to work, the user has to tell their DVD player what aspect ratio screen it is attached to. The menu will be called "Initial Set-up" or "Video Playback" or some such name, and the choices are 4:3 or 16:9.

Return to posts index

Marinus Denton
on Mar 8, 2011 at 2:08:39 am

Chris Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and personal experience. I appreciate it a lot though.

So if I understand you correct.

- Shoot 16:9 (1920 x 1080)
- Capture 16:9 (1920 x 1080)
- Edit in FCP 16:9 (1920 x 1080)
- When your finished with the edit you say send to compressor.

So in Compressor then you select new target for setting.

Then what setting do you select and within the inspector what video or audio settings do you need to change?

Then in DVD Studio Pro if you go to preferences then General. What must your display mode be in order to see this DVD in wide screen format on a 16:9 (1920 x 1080) screen and also if you enter the same DVD into a 4:3 system it shows the whole frame in a letterbox with black bars above and at the bottom of it? And under preferences under the encoding tab what does the aspect ratio need to be in order to see this DVD in wide screen format on a 16:9 (1920 x 1080) screen and also if you enter the same DVD into a 4:3 system it shows whole frame in a letterbox with black bars above and at the bottom of it?

Is it the industry standard to export the video and sound separately from each other when importing it in DVD Studio pro or not, if it is, how do you do it in compressor, what target and inspector settings do you need to choose and set for the video and audio export separately?

Would you say Mpeg 2 is a great export video option since it's smaller then a Mov file? So from Compressor what target and inspector settings do you chose to export in the Mpeg 2 file format? Do you also have to export the mpeg 2 video separate from the audio, if so what will the audio target and inspector settings be. And in DVD Studio Pro how do you get it right to import Mpeg 2 export videos?

Reply ASAP

Thanks again Chris

Marinus

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Mar 8, 2011 at 2:48:33 am

Just checking here...

You do know that a widescreen DVD is 720 x 486 anamorphic SD, right?

DVD SP has no meaningful HD capability. You cannot make a BlueRay DVD in DVD Studio Pro and the HD-DVD settings are to be ignored, as that refers the HD-DVD, which is now a dead format.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Mar 8, 2011 at 2:57:04 am

Sorry...I see that you are in PAL... should have said 720 x 576. NTSC is 720 x 480.

Return to posts index

Marinus Denton
on Mar 8, 2011 at 3:05:47 am

Chris Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and personal experience. I appreciate it a lot though.

So if I understand you correct.

- Shoot 16:9 (1920 x 1080)
- Capture 16:9 (1920 x 1080)
- Edit in FCP 16:9 (1920 x 1080)
- When your finished with the edit you say send to compressor.

So in Compressor then you select new target for setting.

Then what setting do you select and within the inspector what video or audio settings do you need to change?

Then in DVD Studio Pro if you go to preferences then General. What must your display mode be in order to see this DVD in wide screen format on a 16:9 (1920 x 1080) screen and also if you enter the same DVD into a 4:3 system it shows the whole frame in a letterbox with black bars above and at the bottom of it? And under preferences under the encoding tab what does the aspect ratio need to be in order to see this DVD in wide screen format on a 16:9 (1920 x 1080) screen and also if you enter the same DVD into a 4:3 system it shows whole frame in a letterbox with black bars above and at the bottom of it?

Is it the industry standard to export the video and sound separately from each other when importing it in DVD Studio pro or not, if it is, how do you do it in compressor, what target and inspector settings do you need to choose and set for the video and audio export separately?

Would you say Mpeg 2 is a great export video option since it's smaller then a Mov file? So from Compressor what target and inspector settings do you chose to export in the Mpeg 2 file format? Do you also have to export the mpeg 2 video separate from the audio, if so what will the audio target and inspector settings be. And in DVD Studio Pro how do you get it right to import Mpeg 2 export videos?

Reply ASAP

Thanks again Chris

Marinus

Return to posts index

keith mcgregor
on Mar 9, 2011 at 5:34:33 pm

When you export from fcp to compressor you might as well use dvd best settings 120 min if it's long or 90 min if it's shorter. Since you cannot make a high def dvd don't bother exporting to hd sizes. You could also just let dvdsp compress it but I have heard compressor is better.
-"Is it the industry standard to export the video and sound separately from each other when importing it in DVD Studio pro or not, if it is, how do you do it in compressor, what target and inspector settings do you need to choose and set for the video and audio export separately?"-
When you right click and navigate to the settings folder, use "ALL" as it will make a separate file for each, if you just look at it in compressor it's self-explanatory there are 2 types there; 1 for video and 1 for audio. You shouldn't need to change anything if your editing at the right frame rate and size for your region. And you would have to use mpg2 because that's what the dvd standard is. Just make sure dvdstudio is set for your region and check the 16:9 display mode, and in the simulator do the same, there should be no problems but as always check it twice and not on the computer you made it on, use a crappy dvd player and a nice one. For the hdtv, that depends on upscaling features built into the dvd player, tv, the kind of cable or all.
-Beef

Reality? What did you make it?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 8, 2011 at 5:47:04 pm

I never remember to check the box myself. I just check the box in DVDSP. Same difference.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]