FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP and Jes Deinterlacer

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
melanie bartley
FCP and Jes Deinterlacer
on Mar 7, 2011 at 10:27:57 pm

Hello,

I would really appreciate some help with this. I used a Canon 500D for a short video. This camera records 1920x1080 at 20fps, which is ridiculous. I downloaded Jes Deinterlacer to convert the clips to Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) with the same dimensions, at 29.97 fps. Everything looks fine on QT, but when I import it into FCP the image gets squeezed into a vertical rectangle. Has anyone had the same issue? Please help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: FCP and Jes Deinterlacer
on Mar 8, 2011 at 12:19:10 am

Two questions:

1) Why use JES Deinterlacer when MPEG Streamclip is available? JES Deinterlacer... well, it deinterlaces. MPEG Streamclip converts video.

2) Why shoot at 1920x1080 20fps when you could have shot at 1280x720 30 fps? Was the extra resolution at the expense of any kind of rational frame rate actually worth it?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matt Killmon
on Mar 8, 2011 at 1:05:59 am

Not directly related, but I did have a situation like this where I shot a video with a Canon T1i at 1920 x 1080, not realizing it was limited to 20fps at that resolution. Imagine my shock when I imported the file and noticed how juddery it was! Fortunately the clip in question was very low-motion (shot of a talking head, done handheld but pretty smoothly), and I was able to use the Optical Flow image retiming in After Effects to boost it artificially to 24fps (didn't feel like pushing my luck to 29.97). It ended up working out—the few weirdo motion artifacts were so minor as to be unnoticeable in realtime, and no one said a word.

Depending on the nature of your clip (and, obviously, if you have After Effects) this might be a good way to go.

The initial convert is probably best done in QuickTime Pro, honestly. Dave, how is MPEG Streamclip for duties like this? I've never used it as a general purpose video converter, just for situations where I needed to go from an MPEG-2 source.

Return to posts index

melanie bartley
on Mar 8, 2011 at 1:24:55 am

Thanks, Matt. Like you, I hadn't noticed the camera was shooting at 20fps. I actually re-started my computer and JES Deinterlacer, converted the files to Apple ProRes 422 at 29.97 and it worked perfectly!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 8, 2011 at 3:46:04 pm

[Matt Killmon] ..."how is MPEG Streamclip for duties like this? I've never used it as a general purpose video converter..."

Oh, it works fine.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]