FORUMS: list search recent posts

Working with HD footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simeon Bezuidenhout
Working with HD footage
on Mar 7, 2011 at 8:03:59 pm

Hi!!

I'm currently working on a project where we are shooting on HD and then downcoverting to SD in order to edit more time efficiently with Final Cut. However I was wondering if there is a way of importing the raw HD footage into Final Cut and then using a function of Final Cut to edit the footage in SD or some sort of "lower quality" and then exporting the finished edit in HD?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Working with HD footage
on Mar 7, 2011 at 10:33:15 pm

[Simeon Bezuidenhout] "we are shooting on HD and then downcoverting to SD in order to edit more time efficiently with Final Cut. "

How is that "time efficient" to capture HD, then convert all of that footage to SD? Or capturing everything as SD and thus need to capture AGAIN (online) in HD later... Space efficient, yes. Time? Not so sure.

You can bring in the HD footage and make an SD timeline...not sure if that will make things faster. I doubt it would. But then you'd have to change the sequence settings back to HD and if you did any repositioning of footage, or moves on stills...you'd have to redo all of those manually.

I don't see this as time efficient.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 8, 2011 at 3:43:25 am

Since FCP4.5 you have been able to edit HD so I'm with Shane. No reason to be editing SD with HD footage, even if the final is SD.

Return to posts index

Simeon Bezuidenhout
on Mar 8, 2011 at 8:52:01 am

Ok thanks guys!! That makes a whole lot of sense. I've just been required to downconvert from HD to SD while at Film School, this was in order to speed up the workflow in the edit suites. So I've been stuck in that mentality.

Simeon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]